Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illtype

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
I have a ps3 and xbox360 and stream to them all the time. But I cant stop thinking how much better a apple tv would be. Do you think they will be updated soon?

hotzenplotz

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I think that the next major update will be during Macworld '09. In other words, just stick with what you have, unless you want to view your albums, YouTube, Podcasts, trailers, rent HD, etc.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
I have a ps3 and xbox360 and stream to them all the time. But I cant stop thinking how much better a apple tv would be. Do you think they will be updated soon?

You think an :apple: TV would be better than a PS-3 and XBOX 360? For what? I'm an :apple: TV owner ... wanna trade either?

illtype

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
yeah i have to get one. I will pick one up spur of the moment at target one day this week. Do you think i should hack it?

illtype

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
So i can play anything. really not sure. do you think it is worth it?

plusnouveau

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
And what about someone who doesn't have any of those fancy game box? I wished :apple:Tv would have been updated at the WWDC but I think it's a bit more plausible to see an update in september. Should I get one knowing the prices will drop and hard drives get bigger?

chachat

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
San Francisco
I have been contemplating the purchase of the Apple TV as well. Currently, the sole TV of the house (CRT Sony flat screen) is supplied by Comcast Digital Cable at an exorbitant price for relatively minimal service; however, the DVR does serve some function. Netflix provides our DVD rentals, however the wait for current selections of late has been rather long.

My intention was to upgrade to a LCD with integrated ATSC tuner and use that for my primary access to free digital TV content. The Apple TV would serve as my gateway to the iTunes store for the purchase of interesting series, TV shows etc somewhat alleviating the need for a PVR. Rentals could be provided by the iTunes store as well, serving the role of my current Netflix subscription.

I have debated the purchase for some time comparing the relative costs of the purchases involved. At the moment the computers in the household are macbooks without a dedicated home workstation and thus am somewhat concerned about the size of the current ATV harddrive since most of the content would hopefully be supplied from the ATV and not streamed...

Any thoughts on the current ATV and future update cycles?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Coupons

There are alot of online coupons that you can print out and take to Best Buy and Target. I used a Best Buy 10% off coupon to buy my AppleTV less that 2 weeks ago.

mrlunch

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2006
San Diego, CA
I made the plunge last week. I'm in love with the Apple TV. My eyes have been opened to the potential of IPTV. My next move is to cut my ties with my Cable subscription and just get my shows via iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.