is it a hard drive issue?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tonchless, Mar 22, 2010.

1. tonchless macrumors newbie

my intel core 2 duo 2ghz imac went from being fine to dramatically slowing down and pinwheeling like crazy. shortly after that, it just wouldn't boot up (just a gray screen with the circle of dashes that go round and round). so, i reinstalled the OS from cd-rom. then it was fine for like a week or so. then the cycle started over...pinwheeling, then won't start up, then i reinstall the OS. i've experienced this cycle like 5-6 times now. but today, it didn't start up and i got the folder icon and question mark. so i reinstalled the OS and for now it's fine again. any idea as to what the issue is? oh, i also got techtool pro and ran all of the diagnostic tests...they all say everything is fine and dandy. help!?!?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Disk Utility from the Install DVD on boot. Verify and repair your hard disk. Your hard drive may be dying.

3. tonchless thread starter macrumors newbie

is that the same as using disk utility from the applications folder? if so, i've already tried that.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes it is the same, but wiser, as the OS is not running.

Further reading: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1452

5. tonchless thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. keep in my mind that when installing the OS (which i'm forced to do every few days now) i completely wipe the drive...i do a clean install. when i've tried the other methods of installing the OS (the ones where it retains some user info) it says there is an error.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have to install every week, then check the S.M.A.R.T. status of the internal HDD next time you use Disk Utility.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

It seems like a failing HDD, so do you still have warranty?

7. tonchless thread starter macrumors newbie

8. tonchless thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, and i had apple care for three years, but that has expired. is that what you mean by warranty?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes.

Also, you can edit your posts, instead of making a new one, using the [​IMG] button.

I think it's time thinking about getting a replacement HDD, or at least making a backup of your internal HDD.

And if you want to go the re-installation route again, maybe use the ERASE TAB in Disk Utility via the Restore DVD to completely erase the internal HDD and write lots of zeros to it via the ZREO OUT option.

http://macs.about.com/od/applications/ss/diskutilformat.htm

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1011.html then http://support.apple.com/kb/TA24002 .

10. tonchless thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the help...seriously. i guess i'm leaning towards installing a new hard drive. one last thing. i'm sorta baffled by which hard drive will be compatible. here are the stats for my current drive. please point me in the right direction. thanks!

Capacity: 149.05 GB
    Model: WDC WD1600JS-40TGB0
    Revision: 20.06C04
    Serial Number: WD-WCAP01268883
    Native Command Queuing: Yes
    Queue Depth: 32
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes: