Is it a major upgrade from 2011 mbp to 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Virgo, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I was dead set on being one of the first pre-orders the day the new laptops were announced.. but after seeing the prices and all the other let-down info.. it made me stall with my decision.

I know a lot of people are upset that the new laptops aren't equipped with the latest and greatest, but some of these people have computers from 2014/2015 already. Mine is from early 2011, and the major thing I have been wanting is a retina screen, period. I'm so tired of this blurry thing with its lack of screen real estate.

I have the base 13" from early 2011.. which has a 2.3gh processor. Am I seeing right that if I buy the base 13" 2016 it has only a 2.0gh processor... no way that means it will be less powerful than my 2011? In that case I would probably want to shell out the extra $ for touch bar model with 2.9gh...

My computer still works fine, it just has a really slow start-up and a crap battery. But I'm about to be starting a web development bootcamp for 3 months and I want to be working on a machine with a sharper screen if possible. I'm also not really interested in buying an older model such as 2015 because I always try to buy the current and keep it as long as possible... My other option would be to wait 6 months or so for the updates, but who knows, we might just be disappointed again anyway.

2. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

It's a major upgrade from a 2011 device. All of the new MacBooks are a major upgrade from the 2011 device.

3. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

I just don't know what else I'll be gaining besides the great screen, and better bluetooth.. I know SSD is faster than HDD but I'll be dropping from 500gb storage down to 256 due to pricing, so that's another compromise.. as well as dongle-gate.

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Don't compromise on storage or get a USBC external drive for the stuff you don't use regularly. Even in the store sitting next to last years 15" rMBP the base level 2016 rMBP display is far and away better. Additionally, the SSD is the fastest SSD there has ever been on a Laptop if I'm not mistaken. Also you are future proofed if not today proofed in the USBC standard which is vastly superior to the other methods of input and output people had previously been using with their Macs and PCs.