Is it advisable? (Re-installation of 10.5.2)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by razorianfly, Feb 16, 2008.

1. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Ok, so i've been having problems with specific crashing in Adobe Photoshop CS3 as outlined in this thread.

Now i'm looking to solve it. With being a novice to OSX any way, this may sound like a 'noobish' question, but I would be grateful if someone could answer it for me.

Ok, so I'm currently running Leopard 10.5.2 on a C2D, 1.83Ghz, 1Gb RAM Mac Mini. Now I installed this through 'software update'. Now want to re-install it using the 'combo' update pack from apple.com,

My questions are,

If it is even possible, is it advisable to re-install a point OSX update on top of itself?

If it is not, what type of installation of Mac OSX Leopard would I have to perform in order to reinstall 10.5.2 successfully? (Archive & Install Vs Clean Install)

Thanks,
    R-Fly

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is possible, I have done it many a time before and it has solved my problems in the past. It is a good step to make.

I always use the combo update.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just download and install...

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

Sometimes it fixes stuff that didn't quite work out the first time, though i've also tried the update_dyld... caches also since you can see that problem in the logs.

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Im surprised this would make any difference, Im seriously curious about how exactly apple prepares their patches.

5. razorianfly thread starter macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Thanks for all your replies, 10.5.2 is re-installed successfully.

Now to try to see whether it fixed my problem, if not, i'll try an archive and install from my Leopard CD, then update through to 10.5.2 again.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 is a vital piece of kit for me, as i'm involved in web development/design.

R-Fly