Is it advisable to buy a Lighting Dock for the iPhone 6s plus?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Dec 29, 2015.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

I have a MBP 17" 2010 (usb 2.0) and a rMBP 15" 2012 (usb 3.0). Both do not have a lighting port. I plan to buy a new rMBP when it comes out next year. I have decided to buy an iPhone 6S Plus. Is charging using the usb port of these laptops OK? Is it advisable to buy a Lighting Dock? Does it provide faster charging than the lighting to usb adapter that comes with the phone?

2. LiveM macrumors 6502a

LiveM

The lightning dock is no faster, just better to view notifications and keep your desktop tidy. There is nothing wrong with having it connected to your Mac's USB port.

I use the dock for the Apple TV remote and to connect a microphone at an near right angles.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

A dock is only needed if you like keeping the phone in a dock. I use to use one with an iPod Touch at work so I could listen to music. Dock kept the iPod charged and visible.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Owned one so I keep my iPod Classic in it while listening to my music. It kept it charged and my desktop tidy. Was nice for travel as well because I could use it as a stand for my iPhone which then became a clock, alarm and music player. It is up to you if you really need it. I just found enough uses for it to make it worth having.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I wonder if the OP is confusing lightning and thunder. No Mac has a lightning port.

6. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Yes, OK to charge from the USB port of your (or any) computer. Charges at the same speed as the plug supplied with the phone. If you want faster charging, use an ipad charger.