is it against policy to post about other forums?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by twoodcc, Jul 28, 2008.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the reason i ask is b/c i'm trying get my own forum up and going, and would like to ask advice about it (design, theme, content, etc), but i don't want to do anything against the rules

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's against forum rules to advertise:

Instantly bannable offenses:

Advertising/soliciting. Using the forums for advertising or for commercial business deals and offers. See the MacRumors About page if you want to buy advertising at the site. Threads will be deleted if their purpose is to advertise, announce, or promote products, services, or organizations, build traffic at other websites, solicit donations, votes, or participants for surveys, contests, or product testing, carry out business activities including employment requests/offers, or other similar purposes that do not benefit our forum community. Memberships created solely for such purposes will be banned.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

right, but what about helping me with the things i mentioned in my first post? like advice about it, not really advertising it (even though it would advertise it in the process)

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

That's tough because no matter your intentions I'd bet you would be accused of just trying to drive traffic to it.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i personally don't see it as advertisement if you're just looking for advice. posting about it in posts just to link it, that would be advertisement imo. plenty of people have critique threads that drive traffic to their sites or their sites in their sigs which is advertisement of a sort.

if you're very concerned send a PM to one of the admins for their opinions on the matter.

6. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i know. that's why i was asking first.

thanks for the reply. i'll wait until tomorrow before doing anything. hopefully they'll see this soon

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ive seen a couple threads advertising cuil to an extent.....

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Used to be a notice about other sites of interest to the membership being able to post about a startup, significant change, etc. on their site every now and then.

I remember we had a looprumors.com announcement, redesigns, changes for other sites, etc.

But the announcement that come too often or are for commercial purposes running towards advertisement usually get handed a noose.

---

Might have been curtailed/eliminated about the time iPod flood happened, since announcements about a lot of sites came in with the freeipod.com type.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As long as the focus of your posts is on getting help with the site, that should be fine. Just don't keep bumping your thread with comments like "HAI GUYZ!....OMGZ...check it out...i changed one little thing!" Ask constructive and intelligent questions and you'll get better feedback anyway. :)

10. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks, i'll post about it then

11. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Same goes for posting links that take you to other sites right? IF someone asks a question, and a link to another site contains teh answer..... can we post it?

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sure...there are plenty of other resources on the web that provide answers to questions raised here. Linking to them is perfectly acceptable, saves you work, and gives credit where it is due.

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

twoodcc, you could be a little more original with your forum category names.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Say someone where to come here and ask about getting the best deals on AT&T, I'd refer them to HowardForums.