Is it annoying not having a disk drive? (and other concerns)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karilynn, Jul 22, 2012.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

First of all, i'm super sorry if this has been written already. I'm sure there are a million posts on whether or not to purchase the rMBP. Also, I'm sorry if I have any spelling or grammatical mistakes - had a few mimosas at brunch :D

I was all ready to purchase a regular ol' classic 15" MBP because it was in my price range of what I felt comfortable spending. Then, I got a surprise bonus at work on Friday (enough to buy the rMBP) and now the wheels in my head are turning. I came from using a 2004 PowerBook for 8 years that finally died, so obviously technology has changed a whole lot. I'm really just wondering if the retina MBP is too much computer. Also, I'm really not used to not having an onboard disk drive. I know you can get the external super drive, but does that get annoying? I do like to watch DVDs on my laptop fairly often.

It's just such a big purchase and I've read so many different reviews. Some love it. Some have issues with it. Some say wait until Mountain Lion. Some say wait until the next generation. The thing is, I need a laptop sooner than later, so quite honestly, I don't want to wait another year.

I know that ultimately the choice is up to me, but what would be the wisest decision at this point? I don't mind the bulk of the classic MBP (coming from the PowerBook, it's super thin!) and I'm sure the retina screen is awesome, but I've read that a lot of things don't look so great yet.

:confused::confused::confused: