All iPads Is it annoying to use retina and non-retina devices together?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dagdagdag234, Nov 5, 2013.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

Maybe this is a weird thought -- but was just thinking sometime in the near future I might upgrade my laptop to a MacBook Air instead of a Retina MacBook pro -- because I won't miss not having the retina screen, since currently I have no larger devices that have a retina screen.

Currently, our family has an iPad 2, an non-retina iPad mini, a macbook pro 2009 and iPhone 5's (which are retina, of course, but so tiny)

Was thinking if I went retina with my laptop it might "ruin" my iPads and I would start finding them difficult to read -- and don't want to do that since I'm not interested in upgrading any time soon.

Is this insane thinking, or do people have experiences that back up this theory?

2. TmanATL macrumors member

3. bkribbs macrumors 65816

The logic makes sense but you'll do fine. You'll appreciate the retina where you have it, but as long as you aren't a super high maintenance person you'll do fine.

4. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

You'll be fine. Had iPad 3 and now Air with Retina. Have iPad Mini and iMac, neither with retina. I switch back and forth all the time, doesn't bother me at all. I do love retina, but it is what it is. Don't worry :)

5. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

i begin to think. can anyone tell me if it would make different if i watch 720p video on retina ipad and non retina one?

i find that mkv file of around 3-400 mb for 3 mins fancam would look really good both on my lap top and my ipad 2. Would it even be clearer on Ipad retina????

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

720p source so maybe just a teensy bit. Doubt it'll be all that noticeable, though.

7. Macalway macrumors 68020

Retina spoils you. At least for us insane people (your choice ;) )

Some are immune apparently. Curious

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

I go back and forth between an iPhone 4S, an iPad 3, a 13" MBA, and a 2008 24" iMac and have no issues with the screens. the MBA screen doesn't have as wide a good viewing angle though. I run the MBA at 1280 x 800 to keep the display readable for my eyes.

I think retina is a bit over-hyped.

9. JustCrusin macrumors member

Agreed. It drives me crazy to go to non-retina.

10. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Agreed. Especially with aging eyes. When I first got my IP5 (upgrade from 3GS), I couldn't believe what I'd been missing. Until all my devices have retina, I've learned to keep a few pairs of cheater glasses on hand. ;)