Is it Apple Crumble or Apple Pie?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Jun 18, 2007.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hi all, I'm new here.

So, for the record, I'm not a switcher... I just like to use both platforms for different things, the day I really switch would be the day Autodesk brings 3DStudio to the Mac. Yeah, I know I could switch to Maya, but learning the new application takes time, it's not something i have loads off.

Well.. about two weeks ago, I brought a brand spanking new MBP 2.2 with the LED back-light, glossy screen. I personally upgraded the Ram to 4Gb, installed a 160Gb 5400RPM drive and it's been great and somewhat flawless for a while, then after some general usage I started to realise things weren't as 'Perfect' as one would like.

Heat was a huge issue, considering it's a C2D, it's supposed to be cooler... Occasionally the fans would start spinning up, making a whirling sound, I've had many experiences where the fans stay spinning in full speed, even after a restart... Which isn't normal at all! Eventually I dismantled the system to it's raw components and realised why it's over heating, it seems the Thermal Paste problem of the older MBP was back, only now it's much worst!

[​IMG]
    (click to see set)

So system one became swap number one, but only after i removed all the upgrades i did, despite the fact it opening the unit would void he warranty (but Apple wouldn't know unless you tell them.)

It's replacement wasn't so hot either.. the front of the case wasn't closed properly, and when their apple techs tried to close it, he bend the case!! Doh!! That became swap number two!!

The third and final system seemed OK! There's not heating problems, the fans didn't spin outta control, and the whole case closed snugly. However, on using the system I noticed the left USB started doing strange things, various devices didn't register and the so-called geniuses at the apple store reckons it's my hardware/software drivers causing the problem, not their precious system. Therefore, they refused to exchange the machine but I was within my 14days cooling so I opted for a full refund.

Then one of their geeks says:
    "your mad!! what you gonna do? Buy a windows box? (laughs)", for kicks I said... Yeah!! I need some thing that Works!

In the past, i've always brought from reputable Apple resellers, never really dealt with Apple directly or brought anything from their stores, now I know why... It seems there staff are more fan-boys than tech-heads/geeks?. They know nothing about the faults which lay inside the system, nor do they keep up to date with various user problems.. don't ask them anything too technical, they won't know the answer! Yeah, I feel like Apple let me down.. and I've been a user since they introduced System 6.

Don't get me wrong, I like Apple's range of products but recently their quality have slipped, and they seem to be on a downward spiral to lower and lower quality finishes, does anyone else feel like this? Or am I just too picky?

2. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oops, could someone move this thread to the MacBook & MacBook Pro forums please, think i selected the wrong thing.. Thx.

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

To answer the first question, it's pie for me. The worst pie is still better than the best crumble, if served hot with vanilla ice cream. Any Genius would agree. ;)

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Rarely do any computer store employees know anything about computers. That goes for apple geniuses too.

5. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

I have had my share of troubleshooting sessions both at the 'Genius Bar' and over the phone with AppleCare, and agree that Apple first level service is basically just running thru a flow chart. If you persist, you can be transfered to a second level tech that specializes in the model you are having issues with, but only after repeat attempts.

But at least they speak english and try to solve your problem.

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Talking doesn't resolve hardware glitches and issues, especially when can hear and see the problems. :( Those :apple: geniuses can talk to you till they're blue in the face, still doesn't fix poor build quality, instead they make me feel intimidated, like i wanna biatch-slap them, send them home feeling dumb and stupid, instead. :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm thinking of emailing in a complaint regarding the low quality finishes and high level of faults, or imperfections. They're not user errors at the end of the day. Maybe Mr. Jobs can look in to it personally.. I'm sure he'll want his users to be happy for all it's worth.