Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Streitzguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2007
Well, I notice that the machine gets very hot under intense applications, especially after being on for a long time. When even taking a short break from the computer, it seems that putting the computer to sleep is convenient. Sleep mode, even only for like 10 minutes, will bring my CPU back down to like 30C. Is it bad for the computer to have it go into sleep mode 3-4 times a day?

I'm a recent switcher to the Mac, and I'm also actually new to laptops. Although I endured annoying exchanges, I absolutely love my new computer. I'd appreciate any other advice regarding maintaining my computer, especially regarding heat, because this thing can get HOT. Thanks.

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
No, it's designed to go into sleep, in fact it reduces wear and tear (minus initial startup), saves power. I wouldn't worry about it, but you can download InsomniaX if you want to stop it from happening (more customizable then the OSX settings).

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
It's not bad for MBP to go to sleep that often. It might actually do some good in keeping the heat down.

There are many issues about heat problems. I don't have a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, so I am unable to help you there, but search the forums for threads on heat issues! :)

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
is it bad for YOU to sleep multiple times a day??
i guess not,sleep=rest..
its not bad for your mbp to rest when its not in use..it even makes it work better for longer ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.