Is it bad to keep restoring?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qpid360, Jul 4, 2009.

1. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

I've been reading about people who keep attempting to downgrade, jailbreak, restore, etc... and do this multiple times because it doesn't always work successfully.

Is it harmful to the phone, hardware/software-wise, to keep restoring, putting it in recovery or DFU mode, multiple times?

When I had my 3G, I restored quite often when jailbroken apps caused issues, and I never really thought about the long term issues that may arise. Now that I have a 3GS and awaiting the Dev Team's JB, I'm curious to know of any damaging effects.

Please shed some light. Thanks.

2. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I'm guessing the memory that the operating system is on has a life span? There must be a maximum number of times it can be written over. Probably OK for thousands of rewrites :)

3. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I honestly don't think it's bad to keep restoring. Apple makes their devices' operating systems nearly flawless :) so don't worry about it!

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Nah, all things have a lifespan, hard drives and flash memory alike. But the device will be old and outdated by the time you reach that number.

5. Captain Awesome macrumors regular

It is technically, but it will take tens of thousands of restored to get any effect :)

6. qpid360 thread starter macrumors 6502

qpid360