Is it bad to leave my rmbp charge while using it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perry8912, Jul 18, 2013.

1. perry8912 macrumors newbie

I was wondering is it bad to leave the charger plug attached to my rmbp 13 while using it? Some of my friends say it is bad for the battery and shortens it's lifespan...is that true?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Apple's official info at the above link. You want to exercise the battery by running it on the battery at least once a month. Beyond that, leaving it plugged in while you use it won't harm anything.

4. perry8912 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean leave macbook charge not just plug it.

5. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

You should definitely disconnect it from the charger every now and then but letting in charge while using it for several days at a time shouldn't have a noticeable effect.

6. B... macrumors 68000

B...

What?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

These battery myths need to die. We are not in the days of Ni-Cad batteries with a memory effect. Today's lithium polymer batteries can be used any which way you feel like. They'll last 800 to 1000 cycles before completely crapping out and that's that.

Use it however you see fit, leave it plugged in for months on end if you like, it won't make it last any longer or shorter.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not true. When the battery is fully charged it stops charging, and runs on AC power. It cannot overcharge. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.