Is it bad to repeatedly install OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jarmart, Jan 20, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Probably not a problem as above, however you will be using up valuable space...

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

just killing your harddrive quicker thats all

4. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

Speaking of spce

2 questions..

1. Are you saying reflashing mac os will take up more disk space than it already does.

second question is regarding hard disk space. I have barely loaded anything on to my mac and the 80 (74) gig hard drive is already down to 51 gig.

How much space does the operating system take?

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Don't even worry about such things. Your Mac is running perfectly, I promise. But I must admit, I'm a little curious as to why you'd want to downgrade to Tiger.

As for where your HDD space all went -- OS X is pretty big. A standard install of Leopard eats up about 12GB, including 3.7GB of printer drivers. Add iLife '08 and iWork '08 and it'll nearly double to 22GB, including almost 4GB of just Garageband and iDVD support files. So yeah, that's how a 74GB drive can suddenly have only 51GB free and yet it feels like you haven't put anything onto it. Tiger is probably within 10% of this size.

If you're curious about exploring Mac OS X file structure, and relative file sizes, I'd recommend downloading Whatsize from Macupdate.com.

6. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

File space

I joined .mac so I can upload all of my smaller files that slowly add up to wasted disk space over time. Word docs, small videos, etc. I tunes and videos I keep on the computer, it's just my preference.

I also deleted several programs and saved 2 gig of space. I was careful not to delete any critical applications. Running fine..no cracks yet..Checking daily.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If he's wiping the hard drive before each install, then he won't be wasting more space. Just time.

The extra wear is negligible at best. I wouldn't worry.

Also, I'd recommend using Monolingual to remove languages you don't need. You may be able to save a few hundred megs.

8. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

When you install the OS, make sure you only install the printer drivers and languages you need. I think by default it installs all of them and they take up tons of space. Monolingual, mentioned above, can work but I have heard some issues about it. I've never experienced them though.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've used it several times and have never had any problems. =

10. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

11. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

1st thing I did was to reformat my Mini when I got it and installed only 1 language and no printer drivers. Didn't install garage band. Pretty much a minimal install.

Saved quite a lot of disk space.

12. gvg45 macrumors member

If you need more hard drive space and are going/want to reload your OS, only install the language & print drivers you actually are going to use, and dont install the Trials (Microsoft Works/iWork) or any bundled software you are not going to use (garageband).

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know but you certainly are wasting a lot of time and effort which could be used for something productive, or fun.

14. joeyd929 macrumors newbie

How much space

How much space can I save by deleting all the other language support? Does monolingual work with Leopard?

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Reinstalling the OS doesnt hurt anything. Always erase the drive in Disk Utility before installing.

Its a good idea to reinstall the OS every once in awhile anyways to keep it fresh. A lot of junk can add up over time, usually erase+reinstalling is the only way to get rid of it. I do it like once every 6 months since I keep all my data on separate partitions. Keeps the computer running like its brand new.

16. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

can you not just delete the previous systems folder as well?

17. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

yeah while your is still new and there's still not a lot of files saved, you should erase your entire hard drive(backing up your important data first) and do a fresh custom install with your installation discs. just install the english language or your native language and skip all the extra software if you already tried it out and don't like it. don't install any printer drivers as if you have a printer already, just use the disc that came with your printer or go to the manufacturers website and download them. doing you will save quite a few gigabytes. the extra languages alone take up almost 4-5gbs.

18. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Sorry for my ignorance... I should know this but I apparently don't? Anyways, I never noticed that there were 2 Installation discs that come along with the Mac. What's the difference between the 2? Also, will iLife '08 be included on the Installation discs from the box?