Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
I thought I found some iphone problems on here that went through a bunch of bugs, and I think I remember it saying that restoring an already jailbroken iphone form a backup is a bad idea... I've been searching all of the bug threads that were stickied... but I can't find it.

Am I remembering right?

The reason I ask, is because I got a new 3gs phone, already jb and unlocked on 3.1.2 with blacksn0w... so my first thought when I plugged the phone in was to restore it from a back up from my old phone... but now I notice the phone is being a little buggy. For now I want to restore it, and I need to know my options.

What I'm aiming towards is doing the sn0wbreeze jailbreak on a custom 3.1.3 ipsw, and then the blacksn0w unlock (I dont need it, but would like to have it incase I decide to resell it). But after this, I know that its always better to set it up as a new phone, but would restoring from a back up really cause problems?
Thanks.

singh84

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
It's usually recommended that you start fresh when jailbreaking. That said, I jailbroke my 3GS after restoring from backup because I wanted to keep all my settings/apps/files and it's been working fine so far. I guess maybe it's like a random chance of sometimes having a buggy jailbreak when restoring from backup.

Cortezbanks

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
It's usually recommended that you start fresh when jailbreaking. That said, I jailbroke my 3GS after restoring from backup because I wanted to keep all my settings/apps/files and it's been working fine so far. I guess maybe it's like a random chance of sometimes having a buggy jailbreak when restoring from backup.

same here, hasnt been a problem

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Yea, it's hit or miss on errors coming back or beginning due to restoring from backup.

I look at it this way, an extra hour upfront to restore all my settings generally insures me months of trouble free phone operation, so I always choose the set up as new method.

Nothing more frustrating than restoring to backup, then having to turn around and re-do it all the same day or next day due to glitches. It has happened to me.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
It just depends on the problems that you have been having.. I recommend starting up as a new phone. If your worried about losing highscores and etc. Ssh into your phone and copy the apps files, once restored and jailbroken again. Copy the individual files back over via ssh

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
Yea, it's hit or miss on errors coming back or beginning due to restoring from backup.

I look at it this way, an extra hour upfront to restore all my settings generally insures me months of trouble free phone operation, so I always choose the set up as new method.

Nothing more frustrating than restoring to backup, then having to turn around and re-do it all the same day or next day due to glitches. It has happened to me.

I agree. So I will definitely start it up as a new phone and just ssh the stuff i want back onto the phone, like texts.

I have my ECID on file with Cydia but only for 3.1.3, so that means a 3.1.2 restore isnt an option for me, right? I'd have to go with a custom 3.1.3 ipsw made with sn0wbreeze, and shift-restore through itunes?

This would be sooo much easier if i never restored from backup in the first place... :(

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I agree. So I will definitely start it up as a new phone and just ssh the stuff i want back onto the phone, like texts.

I have my ECID on file with Cydia but only for 3.1.3, so that means a 3.1.2 restore isnt an option for me, right? I'd have to go with a custom 3.1.3 ipsw made with sn0wbreeze, and shift-restore through itunes?

This would be sooo much easier if i never restored from backup in the first place... :(

If you can get your phone into recovery mode (not DFU mode) you will be able to restore to a 3.1.2 custom firmware. This is because pwned phones have altered boot loaders which will accept any custom firmware.

If I were you, I would avoid Sn0wbreeze, which continues to have numerous problems (and which relies for its most important functions on code stolen and rebranded from the Dev-Team and made proprietary in violation of the GPL). Instead use PwnageTool, which has far fewer problems, or obtain a custom 3.1.2 firmware made with PwnageTool from a trusted source.

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
If you can get your phone into recovery mode (not DFU mode) you will be able to restore to a 3.1.2 custom firmware. This is because pwned phones have altered boot loaders which will accept any custom firmware.

If I were you, I would avoid Sn0wbreeze, which continues to have numerous problems (and which relies for its most important functions on code stolen and rebranded from the Dev-Team and made proprietary in violation of the GPL). Instead use PwnageTool, which has far fewer problems, or obtain a custom 3.1.2 firmware made with PwnageTool from a trusted source.

I can get my phone to recovery mode. If I get a custom 3.1.2 with PwnageTool I would just shift-restore in iTunes, right? iTunes doesnt check the ECID on custom fw's right? So even though I dont have a 3.1.2 SHSH saved, I could still do it?

I have heard about sn0wbreeze, and how they stole code... normally I wouldnt use it... but I dont have a Mac, and cannot create my own fw. So it just seems easier for me. I was planning on using sn0wbreeze to custom build the 3.1.3, then use blacksn0w to re-enable tethering, and then shift-restoring through iTunes.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I can get my phone to recovery mode. If I get a custom 3.1.2 with PwnageTool I would just shift-restore in iTunes, right? iTunes doesnt check the ECID on custom fw's right? So even though I dont have a 3.1.2 SHSH saved, I could still do it?

Your conclusion is correct, although your reasoning is not. It is not the fact that the firmware is a custom one which matters, but that fact that your phone's bootloader has been pwned (that is, the signature checks have been patched out of it). This means that your phone will accept a restore to any compatible firmware without asking for a signature from Apple.

I was planning on using sn0wbreeze to custom build the 3.1.3, then use blacksn0w to re-enable tethering, and then shift-restoring through iTunes.

You seem to have things out of order. You need to do your upgrade before you run blacksn0w; restoring to a custom firmware will wipe blacksn0w off your phone. If the only reason you intend to use blacksn0w is to restore tethering, though, there are better ways of going about it.

Again, I suggest the following:

1) Obtain a 3.1.2 custom firmware file. You could always search the interwebs for a file named iPhone2,1_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore_NonActivated.ipsw. Or try to find an acquaintance with a Mac online to create one for you.

2) Put your phone in recovery mode.

3) Shift-restore to the firmware file you obtained in Step 1.

4) Put your SIM in your phone and activate.

5) Enable tethering.

Please note once again that there is no reason to upgrade to 3.1.3.

As for enabling tethering, this is the procedure which must be done after steps 1-5 above:

1) Disable signature checking of mobileconfig files. This can be done in one of the following three ways:

A) Install blacksn0w (not recommended...blacksn0w causes many problems)

B) Install the tethering hack from the sinful repo. This will replace commcenter with a patched version.

C) Use eagos' tethering patch to patch CommCenter on your phone. I recommend this method, as it is safer.​

2) Browse to the following file in Mobile Safari and install: http://m.peacefulinsanity.com/Tether.mobileconfig

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Ive removed all my JB apps and anything extra i didnt want, then backed it up that way next time i restored i wouldnt have all the JB stuff in there too.

tmatthews14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Utah
Thank you Latinist. You're replies are always very clear.
So basically, one thing I didnt understand, is that if the phone is already jb and pwned... it can take any take any custom fw?
So, say I was jailbroken on 3.1.2, decided to go to a custom 3.1.3, and wanted to go back to custom 3.1.2, I could do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.