Is it best to start a new MBP as fresh, or use Time Machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aircanman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

I just got a new machine, and used time machine to put all the date back on it, but is this the right way? I am worried it may have missed some files etc.

Should I do this, or should I go back to factory and just copy stuff across.

2. Arni99 macrumors regular

I always used time machine and never had any issues.

3. happle macrumors 6502a

im wondering the same...will be getting a new mbp soon.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Migration Assistant with Time Machine will copy over everything you need. I have used it many times and never had a problem.

5. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Correct of I'm wrong, but Time Machine doesn't copy system files. It just moves your personal data and preferences, so there is little chance it will affect the performance.

6. intelliot macrumors member

I'm planning to start fresh. I'm currently on Snow Leopard, so there's an OS upgrade involved as well.

I'm also experiencing a quirk where GoToWebinar audio does not work on my user account.

I would like to know exactly what goes into my system, and I've been using my old one for long enough that I don't remember everything anymore.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine does backup/copy system files but if you use Migration Assistant to pull data from a Time Machine backup to a new machine those system files will not be moved over, just user data and settings.

8. Ramasjang macrumors member

So what is the best backup from time machine or through Migration Assistant?