Is it best to way until the .1 update to Mavericks before upgrading?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by HarryWarden, Oct 23, 2013.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

I'm on a 2012 128 GB Air. Have heard from some quarters that it's always better to wait until the .1 update to a new OS before updating to it as it'll be more refined and the kinks will have mostly been worked out. Is this true and if I do choose to wait, how long before such an update is likely to be available?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on Mavericks now and I've been happy, I also did not wait for Mountain Lion and that too was a good experience.

I understand the logic in waiting and I've done that before as well, but I think this OS seems to be very solid

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It obviously gets better over time. I think it's fun to live through the growing pains. I like seeing how the OS evolves and improves with each iteration. Some people like polished stability. Go for what makes you happiest.

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

I haven't upgrade yet because I read that people have problems with
    1) Time Machine and
    2) SMB mounts (to a NAS for example).
    However, I don't know how serious these problems are. If Time Machine and/or SMB are not working, that would be enough reason for me not to upgrade.

5. madmacfan macrumors 6502

TBH I was going to hold off upgrading until the .1 update came out, but after having tested this out through the dev previews to the GM, I decided to take the leap of faith and upgrade to mavericks. So far i've not been disappointed. It's as smooth as butter on both my mac setups, and is certainly more stable and responsive than ML ever was. So far so good.

6. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Time Machine is the biggest one for me and why I'm holding off until confirmation that it works reliably.

7. lexvo macrumors 65816

Well, I had already upgraded iWork on iOS and I found out that I had to upgrade to Mavericks for the latest upgrade to iWork on OS-X (or I wouldn't be able to open the documents edited on iOS in iCloud on my iMac).

So I decided to upgrade and fortunately I have no problems with Time Machine. SMB also works, only had one or two glitches with that.

8. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

iWork '09 doesn't seem as smooth in Mavericks and Quicklook doesn't show many Pages files properly any more (maybe because I stupidly degraded to the latest iWork apps briefly).

My Smart Mailboxes don't work so my mail workflow is a mess. I hope this gets fixed soon.

When I get to work we'll see how Mavericks works with our network shares and copiers and that will probably be the deciding factor.

9. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Every OS release, the same question is asked. Its best for you to update at 10.9.8.

10. speedyaxon macrumors newbie

I upgraded the first day it came out and haven't had any problems. Safari is more stable. I did a full time machine backup flawlessly. I really don't see a reason to wait. Mavericks has been great so far on my 2012 air.

11. HarryWarden thread starter macrumors 6502a

ML never made it that far:p and Mavericks likely won't either

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I usually wait until the .2 - sometimes the .3 release....to ensure most 3rd party software and hardware drivers are compatible.

13. Eithanius macrumors 65816

It took me the following:

10.5.7 to upgrade from 10.4.11
    10.6.3 all the way from my MBP
    10.7 skipped
    10.8.5 to upgrade from 10.6.8, though I wished Apple had not released new OS X in an annual cycle, I would have probably waited until 10.8.7 or .8

I'd say I'll wait until 10.9.5 before upgrading to Mavericks.

PS: I'm still tempted to go back to 10.6.8… ML at 10.8.5 is still buggy… :mad::mad:

14. cbs20 macrumors member

ML hasn't made it there yet, but will receive at least one more update, maybe two.

15. WillFisher macrumors 6502

WillFisher

Personally I've used ever x.0 release since Snow Leopard.
    Mavericks has been most stable and honestly cannot fault it.

16. TheBacklash macrumors 6502

TheBacklash

I usually wait a week or two just to see what issues there are, I don't always wait for the .1 update.

So far, 10.9 is great.
    Swiping doesn't work in finder..
    audio clipping in Quicktime/iTunes. (Disabling App Nap for those apps actually fixed it for me)

beyond that, everything else works.
    Not having any issues with Time Machine myself.