Is it better to leave the MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeuceDeuce, Aug 13, 2007.

1. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

plugged in at all times (even when it sleep mode) or should I occasioanly drain and recharge the battery?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

apple recommends you calibrate your battery every month or two. instructions here.

3. DeuceDeuce thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Right on, thanks! Does it hurt the battery to keep it plugged in at all times though? Should I disconect it when I go to bed or just leave it plugged in as much as I can?

Thanks again for the help!

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

5. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

At work we have IBM ThinkPads, but we leave them in their docking stations 7x24 unless taking them home at night or to meetings - neither of which I do very often. Our IT people do recommend completely draining the battery at least a couple times every year though.

6. amusiccale macrumors 6502

I think leaving it plugged in with the battery is a better idea than the alternative--a hole and open contacts on the bottom of a computer (not to mention the moody magsafe connection to the wall) just worry me.

7. klymr macrumors 65816

Direct from Apple themselves:

On a side note, I checked the MBP's at my school bookstore, and the new 17" that they had was only on it's 3rd charge cycle (it is always plugged in).

8. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

What you could do, is take out your battery and run your laptop on the AC Adapter when your at home, and throw the battery in when your out and about. I'll usually take the battery out of my MacBook when it's fully charged and I'm at home. :)

- Daniel

9. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Lithium-Ion batterys ideal storing charge is 40% thought, and I don't know if charging it more often (as in connecting it more often) is better than always keeping it charged (always connected.)

10. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Doing so will hamper the performance of that machine. Taking out the battery causes the system to reduce the speed of your MB(P)
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305336

You want to keep the battery in at all times and do a full drain once a month. keeping it plugged in or not makes no difference.