Is it better to let it sleep or turn off your MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by meyer1131, Aug 29, 2008.

1. meyer1131 macrumors regular

Overnight is it better to completely power off your macbook or to just close the lid?

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I've always just closed the lid on mine. I've never had any problems with any of the apple laptops that I've owned as a result of doing this. I would recommend, if you choose to just close the lid at night, that you reboot it about once every week or so.

3. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

I use to let it sleep but no I have it set to go off at 10.00PM and it boots at 9AM to get me up.... Love it :)

4. walnuts macrumors 6502

I believe the instructions that come with macbooks say that you should turn it off if you don't think you'll use it for a day. Otherwise, sleep is ok (I take that to mean overnight, 8 hours < 1 day.)

Following that guide I've been pretty good. I've had my macbook since January, and my system reports 97% battery health, 79 cycles, and I haven't noticed any degradation in battery life.

5. JasonG69 macrumors newbie

I have always been a desktop user (PC --> iMac -- ??) but am seriously considering an MBP - I used to leave my machine on all day and night, 24/7 - all the time unless I needed to reboot for any reason - would anyone consider doing this with MBPs or MacBooks ?..

6. 199708 macrumors 6502

I don't think computers these days' need to be treated like a 386.

If my 4yo acer laptop can be on 24/7 in hot and cold environments, with just the usual reboot and occasional shut down if i go out on a holiday or away for 3 or more days.

then I sure expect a 2008 model laptop especially from apple to be able to do the same.

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I never turn mine off, unless I have to reboot for a software update.

When I go to bed, I close the lid and plug in the charger, when I wake up it is charged and ready to go. I run mine 99% on battery power, only plugging in to charge.

8. JasonG69 macrumors newbie

really!??...this could really sway my decision!..I'm assuming you don't just leave the power cable plugged in all the time as well to avoid deterioration of battery?..

9. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

10. MacTeen macrumors newbie

I turn off my Mac after I use it everyday. I can't remember I let it sleep overnight. I'm thinking about its battery life and how I can maintain it.

To those who let their laptops sleep, do you notice any problems with the battery after a few days? Is it OK to let it sleep overnight all the time or is it only for alternative days?

11. JasonG69 macrumors newbie

maybe my original post was a bit misleading, when I say leave it on, I mean leave it on without it going to sleep - on so that the network/internet connection is maintained even though I'm not there..

12. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

i turn mine off at night. and let it charge overnight. i dont really find a point in letting it sleep overnight. it just seems like a waste of electricity to me.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its been asked a ton of times... the answer: what fits in with your lifestyle and what pleases you! I personally shut down since I can wait for a minute the next day to start it!

14. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

sleep uses minimal battery power, and is totally fine for the computer.

15. 199708 macrumors 6502

Worst case scenario... you buy a new or refurb battery and you'll be back to 5 hours. rather than spending that extra year or so living on 1 or 2 hours.

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

The power adapter is used overnight to charge, or when I run low durning the day. Otherwise I am always on battery power. Either in the living room in my favorite chair, at the kitchen table overlooking the back yard, or on the deck outside.

I could care less about cycles, health etc.. As long as I am getting 3.5+ hours out of a charge I am happy. I also am using WIFI 100% of the time, and my brightness is 100%.

If and when the battery can't hold a good charge anymore I will just replace it.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

I've had my powerbook on since the day I bought it. I've turned it off maybe 5-6 times, but never for very long. At night I either close the lid or press shift control eject to sleep the screen.

Never had a problem.

18. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

i have not turned mine off/rebooted in 2 weeks and it still works

19. Samwise592 macrumors regular

i run my MacBook mostly as a desktop (monitor plugged in, keyboard, mouse, etc.) so it's plugged in and on 90% of the time. When it's unplugged its mostly for a full battery charge (out all day). When i need to turn it off i put it to sleep, and I only restart for software updates. Running great since June of 2007. 100% battery health.

20. Chozo macrumors member

You should never leave any machine on for 24/7. It's such a waste of power and it wears away at the life of the machine. Whenever I hear about people leaving their computers on the whole time just idling, it's just as ridiculous as having a printer running constantly spitting out blank sheets of paper. You only use a printer when you need it, you wouldn't have it constantly working. Same idea as anything else you want to use (ie. a computer). [/rant]

My buddy left his laptop on almost all the time and after about 6 months of doing it, guess what? Not only did he waste a bunch of energy, he screwed up the battery AND the power connector inside the laptop.

Don't do it with any machine.