is it better to sleep or turn off my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrahm, Aug 27, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

i will have it hooked up to a 22 inch lcd, is there any disavantage to keeping my MBP always on?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No disadvantage. I sleep mine every night, rather than shutting down. It works great!

3. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I guess I worked with a windows computer to long as a child because I shut mine down each night. I feel as if it works a little bit better if I do that.

4. LeoFio macrumors regular

I always put my powerbook to sleep (which is connected to a 23" ACD), and restart it every week or two to reset the memory. It's really a personal preference when it comes to shutting down your mac vs putting it to sleep.

Macs can go awhile without being shut down, regardless of whether or not it is connected to an external display.

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've heard that turning any machine on and off causes some stress due to the dramatic change in it's electrical state. So, it's better to keep a machine in a sleep or stand by mode.

I let my PowerBook sleep and only restart when it's needed, usually for software updates.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I understand. It took some time for me to get rid of those old Windows habits, too. I've been happy to discover they don't relate to Macs at all!

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I leave it on 24/7.. put it to sleep when I take it on the go.

8. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I guess I'm going to have to start just letting it sleep at night and when I take it places... especially if people are saying it is better to not restart it all the time....

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I put my MBP to sleep most of the time, too (apart from updates, and every week or so, when I just shut it down for an hour, or overnight) and restart next day, or hour, and it does the MBP no harm. When I had a PC, I often put it to sleep, too, because it took forever (by that, I mean at least 10 minutes) to waken up and become fully functional; then, it often crashed, too. It is wonderful to open the lid and find the MBP is ready immediately; even when switched off fully, when restarted, it comes to life in a minute.
    Cheers

11. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

Like LeoFio I generally just my Mac to sleep at night and restart it every week or two.

12. garyoke macrumors member

It All Depends - - -

What do you mean by "better".....

Putting it to sleep causes less stress to the hard drive. Turning if off is less stressful than performing a hard-start with the power button.

But putting it to sleep allows the unit to continue to draw power, and is less energy efficient.

You chooses.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Care to post some facts to prove this?
    Care to post some facts to prove this?

14. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I just close the lid at night and let it sleep away. I haven't rebooted in about a week or two.
    Ironically, I always turn my Vista PC off at night...paranoid. And since it's Vista, of course most things don't work, the "sleep" feature in my case. :rolleyes:

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i sleep mine 95% of the time. if i'm gone for more than a day or two i shut down. and i restart about once a month just to clean out the caches.

16. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I don't know about long-term damage or anything, but for me, sleeping the computer when I have programs on results in graphics glitches.

To avoid that, I log out of the system before I sleep it. Doing this if I need to sleep it helps me avoid the glitches.

I sleep the system at night and use the program Awaken as my alarm clock. It wakes up my system and plays an iTunes playlist that I tell it to.

I never let the system sleep on its own. Otherwise I get massive artifacts in online Flash movies.

17. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I used to put mine to sleep all the time, but sadly, if it's going in a backpack or going clamshell for awhile, I have to turn it off. I have that fudged-up bluetooth problem that wakes it up way too random, so I can't keep it sleeping in an enclosed case or it just goes to sleep, wakes up, goes to sleep, wakes up and gets hot and kills the battery.

I've searched and tried and experimented to no happy ending. :( My bluetooth is so intermittent I had to take back my bluetooth mighty mouse cause it would just disconnect when my bluetooth decided to 'Become Unavailable'

Picture 2.png

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just restart it once a month or so to flush the system.

19. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I don't get it. Can't you people just turn it off and on? It boots in 20 seconds. Why waste all that power and create heat? Wasn't it built to be off and on?

Curious: Do you people keep it plugged in durring sleep at night?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mine takes about a minute to boot up. Waking it from sleep is as fast as I can open it and type in my password. Any programs I had open are right there, including already being logged in to MR. If I boot up, I've got to wait longer and open Safari, Mail, etc. and log back in to everything. The difference in power consumption is negligible. It was built to be either turned on and off OR be put to sleep and awakened. Yes, I do leave it plugged in.

21. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

Weird, we have the exact same MBP and I think its really fast. I guess I'm just more patient? Thanks for the info.

22. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Ditto 4 me also and only re-boot after an update. I guess I shut it down when I'm packing for a long trip somewhere also. Point is for the most part my MBP remains on.

23. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

because i will have my MBP hooked up to a LCD, the MBP will be closed. Its a pain to take it out, turn it on, have it recognize the LCD then close it every day. putting it to sleep takes away pretty much everything

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

What heat? When your system is in standby, you create nearly 0 heat. Its almost similar to turning it off except in standby, you're using some power for the ram to not lose its information. Remember, ram are volatile, so no juice = lose all info.

25. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i think this is a myth...

your hard drive has to spin up from being off or asleep. you can argue that safe sleep can shorten the life of the HDD because it has to write contents of RAM before sleep.

there is still power running through the board even in sleep mode (has to keep the RAM powered by default. You can change this.), if you remove the battery you rely on the image stored on the hard drive. the process of Turning it on vs. waking would use the same power i would imagine. but sleeping will slowly decrease your battery over time.