Is it Comcast or Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VelvetElegance, Mar 26, 2010.

1. VelvetElegance macrumors regular

Guys,
    I'm trying to figure out the genesis of my problem. Two days ago, I was able to send and receive mail using the Mail app with no problem. Then suddenly last night, I can only send mail using the app. I called Comcast to see if they had a mail server down and they told me it was a problem with my e mail client since I could send and receiving using the Comcast webmail. I don't get it. I didn't change any of my settings and I can send and receive just fine using my iPhone.

Any suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Every once in a while the preferences can get corrupted or Comcast has changed ports, so you can receive without SSL. Verify that all your settings are correct, then if that doesn't work, look in your User's Library in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist and remove the preference from the folder, restart, then try using mail again, and see if it works. You may have to rebuild your entire account, but sometimes that is the only way to fix this problem.

You could also try a simple Permissions Repair, before this, just to make sure everything is configured properly.

TEG

3. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

I EFFING HATE COMCAST!!

So it turns out there was a problem on their end that was preventing me from being able to send mail. I FINALLY reach a competent person and they were able to fix it only for me to discover moments later that now I can't receive. 3 calls later, I've been transferred to Apple and told that because I can send e mail using their webmail, that it's not a problem with their service!! I am so angry because the last person I spoke with doesn't have any idea what the hell he is talking about, he just wanted to get me off the phone.

Can someone tell me how to access the incoming port number in Mail. I tried for 10 minutes to tell him that it wasn't where he said it was before finally giving up. I know there isn't a problem with my client..

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

First off, you need to simmer down. You are a Mac user. They are technical support. This means that you should be the smarter one. Act like it.

As for the incoming port number, this is not something that you detect, it is a setting that you enter. The standard incoming mail (POP3) port is 110. The standard outgoing mail (SMTP) port is 25. However, you should visit Comcast's technical support webpage for your specific settings.

5. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

How can I verify that my incoming port is set to 110? On my advanced settings screen, it just says POP and mail.comcast.net.. There's no place for a # unless I am looking in the wrong place..

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

• Select the Mail/Preferences... menu item.
    • Click the Accounts icon.
    • Click your Comcast account icon in your Accounts sidebar.
    • Click the Advanced tab.
    • Voilà.

7. VelvetElegance thread starter macrumors regular

This is where I scratch my head. I don't have that option on my advanced tab.
    [​IMG]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that box for outgoing mail?