Is it common for MacBook power adapter to break often?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by definitive, Mar 23, 2012.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Someone I know has went through four different Magsafe plugs over the period of 2 years. Two being the old type, and two being L type. Model is a 2009 MB, non-unibody.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it's not common. While there are a small percentage of defective models, it primarily depends on how you take care of it. I've been using the same MagSafe adapter for 4 years, and it's still good as new.

3. hssky97 macrumors regular

I have had my Macbook for 3 years, on my third power adapter. I had the original T type adapter, but someone spilt water on it causing it not to work (So, my fault) On, the other hand I have owned two L models as well. (on my 2nd due to a powercord failure)
    I usually put my laptop on my desk and connect it to an external monitor, plug it in, etc. When it's sitting on my desk, plugged in, the cable is usually bent at a U shape; Then I noticed one day it was permanently bent like that. If your friend has had a similar problem, such as the adapters bending, that's probably the cause of the failure. When the cord is bent, the internal system of wires get stripped apart/discombobulated causing no power to flow from point a to point b, you may not notice this from the outside. I believe the L type is more prone to fail because of the bending flaw and the T type is less prone to this problem, however it can still happen. Your friend may just need to take even better care of his adapters. Not trying to say he/she doesn't, I have just heard this exact same problem from people who baby their power adapters and people who treat them brutally.

GGJ said "there are a small percentage of defective models" So, thats probably not the case. Long story short it's a matter of care.

4. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

My older one (Early 2009 Model) has been pulling out of the connector more times than I can count. Thanks to the magnet, it does not break. The older models of MagSafe Adapters work on newer macs too, and can replace the "L" types. The only issue I have with mine is the wire gets kinked on itself and I have to flat it out.

Here's the old model I have, and they are reasonable now:
    http://www.macbookadapter.com/60wcompare.html?gclid=CNOyltfqgq8CFUhrtgodrXVW0w

Use caution with other fake copies.