Is it crazy to buy 2016 MacBook Pro right now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahostmadsen, May 17, 2017.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I ordered a 15" MacBook Pro, but then saw the rumor that new models might be introduced. I kind of need the computer before June 1, when I go on a long trip. But if the new model is (speculated) to be a lot better, I could perhaps wait until I come back. As far as I can read, probably it will just be a CPU upgrade? Would that make a huge difference?

2. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Why not just use an ipad for the trip and wait it out? Or get a cheap used one off CL

3. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

If I was about to buy one, after reading the frontpage, yeah. I would wait. What's the harm - if it was me.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

the upgrades i'm guessing won't be much so i doubt you would be missing much getting one now but still i would wait. Thats what i'm doing anyway.

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

One advice I think is really good, I got it a few years ago: if you need a computer (or any device) now, don't wait.

With that said - if you can wait, wait. It's not just that the new computers will be a bit better, price cuts may also happen. I mean, maybe the new models are, actually, $100 lower.

But to answer your question - no, the new MBPs probably won't be much better. The Kaby Lake will be slightly faster (probably not noticeable) and the battery life will be slightly better. Also, it may come with AMD 500 series GPUs which will, most likely, just be Polaris rebrands (with maybe slightly higher clock speeds). AMD is known for these rebrands. It almost certainly won't be a Vega GPU. I obviously don't know, but I think you will see really minor speed gains. Apple will most likely just do a small spec bump to avoid criticism of not having the latest chips. It will probably not come with the ARM secondary chip for notifications during sleep and stuff like that.

The 2018 upgrade will be more interesting in that regard.

Still, again, if you can wait - you may end up with a better computer, even if only slightly. Then again, if you need it NOW, heck - if you just WANT it NOW - get it.

6. lsara macrumors member

I personally recently bought one and don't regret it at all. I know the upgrades won't be much other than processor and Kaby Lake will not make that much of a difference for me. If you think you can wait and value the upgrades, then wait, if not, then go for it.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Let's not forget about that tiered battery situation.

If they kept working on that and include that in this spec bump it's possibly a very nice update to have.

8. Nilhum macrumors member

Nilhum

Buy one and then return it if the new models have a significant upgrade. Go to a store with a 30 day return (Amazon) for example.

The upgrade might be significant, like the jump of the 2012-2013 Retinas. The 2012-2013 Retina has increased battery, cheaper price, faster wifi, increased brightness, and faster SSD.

9. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Or not if it goes the way of the 12" MacBook's terraced battery, which seems to have lots of threads around rapid deterioration. :p

10. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That true?
    Crazy..

I honestly had no battery issues or complaints with my 2015 or 2016 ones..
    Sucks there are issues..

11. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

I had two (2015 and 2016) and they deteriorated faster than I would normally expect but I wouldn't have ever noticed if I didn't track it with coconutBattery.

The 2016 Pro has been a massive bag of hurt for me however. I have one in front of me right now that simply won't ever wake from sleep. I'm several hours into troubleshooting including multiple clean wipes.

Hopefully the rumoured refresh delivers a more polished product.

12. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Totally agree with both of those thoughts...

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I've been tempted since my 2012 is GPU panicking a lot lately and the applecare/warranty is long gone. But I'm going to try to hold out until WWDC at least since they're rumored to do a minor refresh.

The lack of 32GB RAM is what really bothers me. I bought my current laptop with 16GB almost 5 years ago. I'd rather have 32GB so that I can be sure of it being somewhat futureproof.

14. thefriendshipmachine macrumors member

my 2014 imac has very sad image burning so I am excited to sell it and buy this new macbook. I would wait if I were you!

15. iShane macrumors 6502a

I wanted to wait, but when the logic board in my late 2010 13" MBP died, I knew it was time. I've had the new 15" MBP a little over a week now and I'm so happy with it. Hoping I don't have the issues some others have. If you truly need it just go for it, personally this machine is more than what I need anyway...

16. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Buy AppleCare

17. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Shouldn't have to if it is a well built machine.

18. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

That's why I suggest buying AppleCare

19. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Wait, don't listen to replies claiming it will be a negligible upgrade. If it was, Apple would not be doing it (if they are indeed updating the specs). Some in here are just feeling nausea of knowing their 6 month purchase is already in the rear view mirror.

Benefits you might get in this rev 2 Mid 2017 Update:
    - Improved battery life with Kabylake
    - Better 4K support
    - Likely 32 GB RAM option if you can afford it.
    - Standard 512 GB on base 15 inch
    - There could be technological improvements, like better mic for Hey, Siri
    - Likely price drop.
    - Improved GPU options.
    - Touch ID + optional Touchbar/Function Key
    - Improved butterfly keyboard

20. fokmik macrumors 65816

yes, im betting on Improved battery life with Kabylake (they did the same with second gen 12" Macbook), better 4k support thanks to kaby lake codecs, 32 gb ram i dont think so(maybe a special ed in fall), standard 512 SSD not if they do price cut on all models, and i think price cuts for this second gen by 100 or max 200$ are a reality, improved GPU i think with amd 500 series, improved keyboard not to have so many issues.

So better wait, or wait until 24-25 May and buy it, and if on 5 June is some new one announced, then you have that 14 days for return

21. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

What might be the speed increase from Kaby lake?

22. fokmik macrumors 65816

we dont know what cpu will fit the 13" and 15" MBP

23. TheOkeland macrumors member

Kaby Lake is a little bit more efficient => better battery life
    Clock speed nearly the same, maybe 100 MHz higher.
    10bit H.265 encoding/decoding => big improvement while streaming 4k

If I did not miss something, that would be everything. The performance improvement in general is very small, but I you spend 2-3k on a machine in 2017 it should not have CPUs released in 2015, so Kaby Lake is worth to wait for in my opinion.

If you have a laptop, you used the past month, maybe you can use it some weeks more and then buy the cheaper machine with the latest technology.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    Likely we will see the following CPUs:

13":
    i5 7360U
    i7 7600U
    i5 7267U
    i5 7287U
    i7 7567U

15":
    i7 7920HQ
    i7 7820HQ
    i7 7700HQ

24. fokmik macrumors 65816

nice, the base 7700HQ is 200hz better with HD 630 iGPU...i wonder if the 630 is on par or a little bit better than 530 !?
    so a more efficient cpu, with more battery inside, it would result in a minimum 1 h more battery

25. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I purchased a refurb 13" with touchbar i7, 512 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram late last week so I am out of the return window if there's an update. I've been debating on if I should return but I saved $400 with this refurb that's in perfect condition and I don't think the upgrades will justify a $400 (or $250-300 if there's a price drop) difference. I'm still deciding but I think this is where I am gonna land with my decision.

Your scenario is a bit different since it's new but I wouldn't worry too much about the upgrades if you need this laptop for your trip. If you don't need, then I'd prolly return it.