Is it criminal that Apple still sells the 2013 Mac Pro for $6599 (maxed out) in 2019?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyeangle, Jun 2, 2019.

1. eyeangle macrumors regular

eyeangle

Possibly a day before the Mac Pro 2019 release, Apple still sells a maxed out 2013 Mac Pro for US$6599. Over 5-year-old hardware. Does Apple have in place a return system for the poor old customers who are not as well informed as we are in this forum, to return their Mac Pro (if recently bought) when the new one comes out?

Obviously their reason to keep it up there is so that nobody will know when the new Mac Pro is coming out but I think it's damn right disgusting to sell a 1991-days-old (today) Mac Pro potentially a day before a refresh.

Maybe a new Mac Pro isn't coming out for another year or two (unlikely because Apple promised it would be released this year two years ago) but why still so expensive for this piece of crap!?

2. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Apple seldom reduces prices on old SKUs.

There's usually a 2 week no questions asked return policy.

3. frou macrumors 6502

frou

It's more criminal what they charge for e.g. RAM upgrades on all their computers.

Someone else designs and manufactures the RAM modules, then Apple puts an astronomical markup on them without adding any value.

4. eyeangle thread starter macrumors regular

eyeangle

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 3.34.07 am.png
    ! ... I never knew. That's sickening.

5. Zdigital2015 macrumors 65816

Criminal? No. Mind-boggling? Yes.

6. astrorider macrumors 6502

That is their discounted price. 5 years ago it was $9600 when released: https://www.macworld.com/article/20...w-much-youll-pay-for-a-maxed-out-mac-pro.html

7. now i see it macrumors 68040

One possible reason that old stuff never gets a discount is that most people hang on to their gear for several years. If  made it a habit to have sales and price cuts near the end of a product's life, most people would wait until the price cut kicked in before buying new gear. Essentially they'd sell most of their gear at a discount cuz most people would just wait for the sale.
    So no discounts

8. Scepticalscribe macrumors Westmere

Scepticalscribe

Criminal, no, they are a commercial enterprise after all.

But, Greedy? Perhaps, yes.

9. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Like it or not, capitalism is very much dependent on the "buyer beware" philosophy. Apple can charge any amount they want for non-essential goods and services, and as long as the price is made fully transparent and the product performs as advertised, it's solely the buyer's responsibility to determine if it's a worthwhile purchase.

Essential goods and services within the Apple ecosystem (eg. monopolizing the iOS App Store or forcing higher fees on developers) are another matter worthy of debate though.

10. Jyby macrumors 6502

I think it's weird Apple doesn't discount these products-- I guess even if you're Apple custom is still to expensive to discount... If Apple does release new Mac Pros I hope these get cheaper.

11. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

No doubt the 6,1 will depreciate like a falling rock once the 7,1 arrives. The current Mac Mini is already knocking on its door performance wise, and it has TB3. Really only the RAM ceiling holding it back.

12. Jyby macrumors 6502

is it ECC memory? Or reg?

13. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

Hopefully! Would love to get that nice design at an even nicer price for light server & all-round duty at home. If only those GPU-related problems could be finally solved ...

14. Flint Ironstag macrumors 6502a

Flint Ironstag

Ha! I wrote that before hearing the base price.