Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
I want my iPad battery to last as long as possible so considering the fact that I charge my devices overnight will it affect my battery health if I use the 5W IPhone charger to charge my 12.9 iPad Pro? Or is it better to use the bundled iPad charger as it will charge faster meaning less heat exposure?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I want my iPad battery to last as long as possible so considering the fact that I charge my devices overnight will it affect my battery health if I use the 5W IPhone charger to charge my 12.9 iPad Pro? Or is it better to use the bundled iPad charger as it will charge faster meaning less heat exposure?
Higher power, faster charger is going to generate more heat.

10w iPad charger it ships with isn’t particularly a fast charger, iPad is designed for far more. You wont get a measurably longer from the iPhone charger.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Both chargers will work. The one that is capable of more power will charge faster. Neither will affect the lifespan of your iPad.

Reactions: ActionableMango

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Your iPhone charger is probably best for long term health.

5W means a slow overnight charge. As a result, very minimal amounts of heat are generated.

The two major things are detrimental to li-ion health: 1) heat and 2) time spent at 100%.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
I ended up buying the 29W charger for when I do want to charge faster. Either my phones or my iPad Pro. But normally, I use a 7.5W wireless charger for my iPhone X, and an 5 port USB charger that can do up to 2.4 amps for a port (or 8 overall) for overnight usage.

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy

actually the contrary is true, in both cases:

the faster you charge your lithium ion battery the more heat is potentially being generated and lithium batteries do not like heat (nor freezing temperatures)

while fast charging can normally be safely applied up to a charge rate of 50%, using your iPad charger just means using the charger that has specifically been designed for your iPad's battery. you could use your phone charger, it just would take longer to charge the battery and make your patience wear out way before your battery does

referring to your second statement, charging your battery over night, implies charging your battery to a 100% charge state. lithium ion batteries do not like that either and prefer to be kept at lower charge states which over time will result in higher battery health and higher cycle counts.

Unfortunately most integrated electronics are not designed to stop charging our batteries at a more healthy charge rate of around 60 - 80%, which would be better for long term battery health but let the charge go almost all the way up to 100%, which while not dangerous is not ideal.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

having said that, I do not care about all of this too much and charge my devices whenever I want to whatever charge state it is going to be. batteries age anyway, more or less gracefully, and reach their end of life after 3-5 years, if you use them or not

what really is important though is using the original charger that came with your device. People have been killed by cheap unsafe third party chargers:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...-Australia-killed-by-cheap-phone-charger.html

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Your iPhone charger is probably best for long term health.

5W means a slow overnight charge. As a result, very minimal amounts of heat are generated.

The two major things are detrimental to li-ion health: 1) heat and 2) time spent at 100%.
Yep, this. iPhone charger wouldn't hurt. It'll just be slow at charging the iPad. Mind, for overnight charging then iPhone charger is likely easier on the battery.

pentool

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2013
I had my iPad 3 for 6 years and 2 months. Used it regularly on a daily basis and charged it with its supplied adapter. I recently traded the iPad 3 in for a new model. Even after so many years, I was able to get 11 hours of use out of it on a single charge. (Granted, I have a very dark room and so my display brightness was always on the lowest setting.)

Unless Apple deliberately messing with the battery life, I think you should be able to get quite a few years out of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.