Is it difficult to update my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gohome190, Jul 8, 2008.

1. gohome190 macrumors regular

gohome190

I have a 15 incher. In the future, will i be able to add a larger harddrive? How about a better Video Card? I know ram is very easy to install, but I haven't heard anything about updating other system parts.

Thanks!

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

hard drive: not user replaceable, but not too difficult

video card: I think that's pretty hard, but am not sure.

Check out http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/ for guides on how to replace just about everything on your mbp, there's bounds to be lots of youtube videos on it too.

3. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

No dice on the GPU. Graphics cards on mac laptops (and almost every laptop) are not upgradeable.

RAM as you said is very easy, take out the battery and there are three screws that you need to remove to get access to both RAM slots.

You can Upgrade the Hard drive, but it is not considered user removable and unless you are really comfortable tearing apart your laptop I'd say take it to an apple store or apple certified repair place to get the HD swapped out.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    HD's aren't too bad (I have a 320GB but now they have a 500GB that will fit in there), I dunno about Video Cards....

5. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

The HD is pretty easy to replace. You can't upgrade the video card. I upgraded my HD to a 320GB HD this past weekend.

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

replacing a video card on a laptop is not possible at all-even if it was possible, doing so would completely void your warranty-not to mention insanely expensive. The same goes for the CPU