Is it dumb to have Parallels AND Crossover Games?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by akm3, Nov 18, 2008.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I do most of my gaming in boot camp...if I have to. For games I can get running in OS X I prefer to.

I already had XP/Parallels but got the 'free' Crossover Lame Duck special. Is there any reason to install that if you have parallels? Does it's WINE implementation allow speedier (not) emulation than the virtualization options?

Is there any advantage to actually installing it?

By the way, most of the games I like to play are much older games, like Fallout 1/2, Ceasar III, Civilization II, Homeworld, Sim City 3000, etc.

Recently I've been playing Fallout 3, which I presume is only going to work with Boot Camp.

Anyway, any insight would be wonderful.

-Allen

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

... No?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My point is that I have Parallels and Crossover Games installed too. I never use them and the only loss to me is a few hundred megabytes.

I tried Homeworld in Crossover but it didn't like the CD in the drive authentication. Your mileage may vary with other games.

5. Keleko macrumors 68000

It really depends on the game. Some older games will work fine in Parallels, such as Homeworld. While I haven't tried it, some games that don't work in Parallels version 3.0 may work better in the new 4.0.

Some somewhat newer games work fine in Crossover Games. I play Star Wars: Forces of Corruption, Dawn of War (don't have the latest one, but the first 3) and Civ 4 (from Steam) in Crossover Games. They don't play so well in Parallels, though. Fallout 3 definitely needs booting directly to Windows, though.

I personally don't use Parallels for gaming. I either use Crossover Games or bootcamp. MOO2 plays well in DOSBox. You can also use Cider hacking for some games, such as Oblivion.

6. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

If Cider hacking works for Oblivion, will it allow Fallout 3 to play - since it's on the same engine?

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I've got the lot:

Boot Camp:
    - Win Vista Ultimate 64 bits for DirectX 10 gaming (Crysis)
    - Win XP Pro 32 bits for all other demanding non DX10 games (GRID, DiRT, NFS Pro Street...)

Virtualisation:
    - Parallels 4 (some tryouts...)
    - VMware Fusion 2 (now playing NFS 4..)

Crossover:
    - For fun.... Half Life 2 works very well!

Cider:
    - Whatever I can find! (especially classic PC games, i.e. Unreal, NFS HP2..)

I like choices. ;)

8. Keleko macrumors 68000

No, it will not. There are some errors trying to get Fallout 3 working in Cider. I think Cider doesn't support the latest directx version that is needed for Fallout 3 to work. There's hope that a new Cider version will be out sometime before this year is over and may work.

9. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Any updates on this?

What will work better?
    I am really into older games pre-2005 , not the latest call of duty.

I am not sure if parallels or cross over will give me abetter performance