Is It Easy To Fix A Broken TV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Apr 8, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

There's nothing on the screen but just sound. Anyone know anything about TV's? It's a regular CRT type. What do you guys think?

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's fairly easy to electrocute yourself or implode the tube, so if I were you I'd leave it to a professional or get a new one. There's a good chance the tube is blown anyhow.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not a TV repair man, or even close, but I'm going to guess you'll need more info. Which would mean opening it up, which as its a CRT could be very very dangerous, if you don't know what your doing.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Tread lightly, I'm pretty sure CRTs contain mercury too.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...TVs aren't the best things to be opening up if you don't know what you're doing. And Murphy's Law says that you'll go through all the work of opening it up and the problem will be a dead picture tube. In that case, it'll be cheaper, easier, and safer to just buy a new TV.

6. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

TVs are very dangerous inside.

Firstly, they're actually almost a complete vacuum inside. If you damage the glass slightly, the tube will implode at very high speed, and bounce back outwards on itself, effectively exploding. I've seen this happen and it's pretty cool, but very VERY dangerous.

Secondly, almost all CRTs have triplers on the back, which can have up to 30,000 watts of power stored in them, even 6 months after the set was last connected to the mains.

Thirdly, you don't really have any chance of fixing it.

What make/model is it? If it's a Bang & Olufsen, it's almost certainly repairable, if it's a high end Loewe, then quite possibly, if it's anything else, then it's a definite no-no.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Volts, not watts.

Most TVs are repairable by someone who knows what they are doing. Whether it's worth it is a different question

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That's the one. how can it be 30,000 watts? :confused: You'd need your own power station...

Some parts of the TV aren't repairable by an engineer. We had a Sony WEGA, and the power amps blew (lost sound in the right hand channel/built in subwoofer), and it wasn't repairable because it required a whole PCB replacement (most TVs aren't modular, so you have to swap the whole board).