Is it easy to open and clean an iPhone 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Siderz, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I've had my 3GS for something like 4 years now, and I'm gonna upgrade it this year when the next iPhone comes out.

Anyway, until then, I could do with cleaning it. There are some specs of dust beneath the screen which is really annoying, and there's a lot of dust in the speakers/microphone which I'm sure is muffling sound.

Is there a guide on cleaning this sort of stuff?

I've attached a picture for reference of the dust in the speaker/microphone...it doesn't look as bad in the picture than it really is.

Attached Files:

2. Taltitude macrumors newbie

Cleaning under your screen is going to be tough, because the place where the glass and the screen meet is probably where it is chilling and that part is sealed... mine is almost breaking off from so much tampering...

and for the speaker just get a can of pressurized are and blow it out, if you do want to open it up I suggest using a small suction cup, use the suction cup to take the screen off by suctioning the bottom half of the screen. be careful not to disconnect the ribbon wires toward the top and then used to pressurized air to blow it out, I myself think this is a bad idea because dealing with those wires is tedious work...

here is a link http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone+3GS+Teardown/817/1