Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I would be coming from the blackberry google voice app. I'm hoping GV mobile has a better user interface and texts quickly.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
I'm not going to be much help here (subscribing to see what others have for experiences)....

I just got my GV number a few days ago. I mainly got it for the SMS features (free).

Installed the cydia GV Mobile app yesterday and configured everything. Seems pretty straightforward.....

Testing it out today with the few people who regularly text me. So far it looks like there is no native PUSH notification, at least through the GV Mobile app (have to set up forwards to services/apps that do support PUSH).

There's also this article at Is Google Voice available for the iPhone?

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Use the GV Mobile app to send SMS and TextNow to receive them. It is a $5 app but worth it if you use SMS a lot. Make sure your friends have your GV number.

http://blog.enflick.com/?p=3

I just installed TextNow. It's on sale for $0.99 right now, but that sale shows to be ending soon. Followed those instructions (thanks for the link), and it's working great in TextNow for both send and receive (no need to go back and forth between apps).

Since I don't really see a need to use the calling and VM feature of Google Voice (at least for now), I may uninstall the GV Mobile app....

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
just a thought

I like to give out the google voice number to people that I'm not close too since there is no snail trail back to me and google voice makes it easy to block them if I need to. it's sort of become my junk phone number oh yeah my ex wife uses it too. :p

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Use the GV Mobile app to send SMS and TextNow to receive them. It is a $5 app but worth it if you use SMS a lot. Make sure your friends have your GV number.

http://blog.enflick.com/?p=3

I just installed TextNow. It's on sale for $0.99 right now, but that sale shows to be ending soon. Followed those instructions (thanks for the link), and it's working great in TextNow for both send and receive (no need to go back and forth between apps).

Since I don't really see a need to use the calling and VM feature of Google Voice (at least for now), I may uninstall the GV Mobile app....

So you can use your google voice number on Textnow and dont need to have gv mobile installed? This is way worth $0.99 then.
How fast is push notifications? I'm comparing to blackberry push notification.

it's sort of become my junk phone number oh yeah my ex wife uses it too. :p

LOL

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I like to give out the google voice number to people that I'm not close too since there is no snail trail back to me and google voice makes it easy to block them if I need to. it's sort of become my junk phone number oh yeah my ex wife uses it too. :p

Yup that's exactly what I use it for ..... Junk Phone Number. :D

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
So you can use your google voice number on Textnow and dont need to have gv mobile installed? This is way worth $0.99 then.
How fast is push notifications? I'm comparing to blackberry push notification.

I've deleted the GV Mobile app. So yes, it can be done. You lose some of the features, but nothing with the texting functions.

The push notifications were very fast. I only tested by sending texts from the Google Voice web interface on my MBP, and all were received within 20-30 seconds. Just to point out, though, speed of delivery is dependent on the TextNow servers and their load....

Sending from TextNow app back to when they showed up on the GV web interface was just as fast. Didn't have a second phone to text them to.

I use iBlacklist for call blocking, etc., so the extra GV # will come in handy in the future.

MacChinoNyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
I've deleted the GV Mobile app. So yes, it can be done. You lose some of the features, but nothing with the texting functions.

The push notifications were very fast. I only tested by sending texts from the Google Voice web interface on my MBP, and all were received within 20-30 seconds. Just to point out, though, speed of delivery is dependent on the TextNow servers and their load....

Sending from TextNow app back to when they showed up on the GV web interface was just as fast. Didn't have a second phone to text them to.

I use iBlacklist for call blocking, etc., so the extra GV # will come in handy in the future.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.