Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sergi0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
So I'm wondering if the new macbook will be enough for me? I am planning on getting the 1.3 256 Gb version. I currently have a 2014 Macbook air i7 1.7.

I am a 3rd year Finance student, and I mostly use my Macbook Air for Netflix, Youtube, Internet browsing in general. However as a Finance student I do use Excel but nothing majorly heavy with Excel. I do plan on doing some regression analysis in the near future, but nothing "heavy".

Do you think I will notice any performance issues?

I know its a "downgrade" but damn.... My narcism is getting the better of me in this decision.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I'm wondering if the new macbook will be enough for me? I am planning on getting the 1.3 256 Gb version. I currently have a 2014 Macbook air i7 1.7.

I am a 3rd year Finance student, and I mostly use my Macbook Air for Netflix, Youtube, Internet browsing in general. However as a Finance student I do use Excel but nothing majorly heavy with Excel. I do plan on doing some regression analysis in the near future, but nothing "heavy".

Do you think I will notice any performance issues?
Based on your intended usage, it will probably be more than enough to meet your needs.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
see it when it's available. how it feels to use will tell you a lot. but in terms of your needs, seems it would do just fine...

Sergi0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Based on your intended usage, it will probably be more than enough to meet your needs.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Would I be able to connect it to a bigger monitor and still conduct my daily usages?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Would I be able to connect it to a bigger monitor and still conduct my daily usages?

you can get the adapter (support usb, power, and hdmi) and do what you need (there's a vga adapter instead of the hdmi one as well).

Sergi0

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
you can get the adapter (support usb, power, and hdmi) and do what you need (there's a vga adapter instead of the hdmi one as well).

Thank you :). It is pricey in general, but I live close to Oregon (tax-free state) and I am a student so avoiding tax and receiving a lousy 50 dollar student discount the expensive macbook price is a little less expensive.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Your 2014 i7 will be perfectly capable of doing what you described and a bit more for several years more. I don't see a reason why you ought to upgrade - unless you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.