Is it enough?? Macbook Pro Advice Wanted

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stewartlittle, Jul 2, 2008.

1. stewartlittle macrumors regular

Hi all, So later this year I am planning on purchasing a macbook pro as my main pc, as i will be traveling and working at the same time.. I am into product design so i use programs such as solidworks (through bootcamp i guess) and photoshop and illustrator. I am deciding whether to buy a base model mbp from an applestore (2.4 2gb ram...) for $2099. Then upgrade it to 4gb ram... or should i buy a new mbp with the 2.5 and 512mb graphics. I am not sure if i need the extra.... so any advice is appreciated.... the other option is to buy a 2.5 ghz mbp on ebay or kijiji...for the same price as the base model..... thanks for the help all....

2. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

also, i should mention that i am able to get the student discount if it is the cheapest option...thanks

3. ddoonie macrumors regular

Can't speak to solidworks, but i do use photoshop and illustrator. If you are doing and 3d work i would probably say go for a 512mb graphics model. I have a 2.4, and do everything i need to with photoshop, without any problems (50 layers +, channels, smart objects blah blah some 2gb files). I dont do ANY 3d work, so someone else will have to advise. For my purposes the 2.4 is more than enough, i'm sure a macbook could do it no problem.

4. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

I assumed i would require the faster of the two, Im curious, how many people here use solidworks regularly on a mbp...

5. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

6. stewartlittle thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone else use a macbook pro for 3d work.. advice would be greatly appreciated...

7. allen22k macrumors newbie

Don't know if you found one, but I'm selling a brand new 15.4" 2.4 macBook Pro. It's unopened, and all the accessories come with it as well as a case. I'll give you more specs, email at allen22k@mtholyoke.edu

8. HerbyGunther macrumors member

I do 3d work (Maya 2008) on my MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) 2.2 with 2 gb ram. It runs it pretty smooth. With a lot of programs open it can become slow, but I have recently upgraded to 4 gb. I can recommend it because of the low ram prices.