Is it even possible to connect the iPhone to a computer via Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoganT, Jun 18, 2009.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

Obviously I know that you can't use Bluetooth to sync. But I was trying to connect my iPhone (with 3.0) to my Mac and it only paired after trying again and again. Then when I tried to actually connect it, the dot turns green and then immediately red. I've also tried this on my Windows 7 installation, not the same thing but that won't connect or pair.

I thought it might be because I was trying to figure out how to do all the tethering stuff that it caused my Bluetooth not to act properly. But I did a full restore (basically completely new) and it's still acting this way. I'm not sure if this is a bug because I've never tried this in iPhone 2.0.

Or the Bluetooth in my phone is breaking.

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'm having the same problem trying to tether my iPhone to my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air via Bluetooth.

Works fine via USB though! :D

3. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

LOL i cant seem to tether using USB!

heres what i did for BT

1) pair iphone and the mac
    2) put the BT icon in the top bar
    3) click on BT and select your phone, select connect to network
    4) Bam you should be online

4. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

same here!

I can tether my Mac (MSI Wind Hackintosh) via the USB cable but get the same problem trying to connect via BT. Paired ok but won't connect

5. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I have tethering working both via USB and Bluetooth. USB is way faster but Bluetooth is acceptable.

Once you set up your iPhone via bluetooth pairing you have to make sure that you have the bluetooth modem setup.

It is functioning well on my iMac.

6. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

could you ellaborate please? Thanks.

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Thanks for the tip. Worked the first time I tried it but it has now reverted to the bluetooth disconnecting almost as soon as it connects.

Any suggestions?

8. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

I'd like to know if anyone has an iPhone or iPod Touch with 2.0 and it connects and a 3.0 if it connects. I'm wondering if it's a bug. This firmware update seems to have specific bugs for specific people.

9. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Well, I tried it last night on my HP Laptop. I got them to recognize each other, but they just wouldn't connect. I just assumed Apple didn't set up the iPhone to be a bluetooth drive.

10. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm just wondering why some people can do it and others can't. Even if the iPhone can't do anything with the bluetooth shouldn't it just connect on the fact that it's bluetooth?

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I can't speak to BT, but I was USB tethering my Vista-box about 3 minutes ago. It works quite well, actually, and it's fairly fast (go Rogers!).

12. theHunter macrumors newbie

I was not able to tether via bluetooth until I had updated to OSX 10.5.7. I have not tried it on any of my windows machines. It also tethers on usb cable without an issue.

13. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

I'm the other way around. I can tether fine via Bluetooth but whenever I try to connect to my iMac with USB I can't get it to tether whatsoever.

14. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

I think I may have found the culprit. This is from Ryan Blocks twitter

RyanBlock

In case people don't know Ryan Block is the Co-Founder of Engadget and GDGT along with Peter Rojas./

I do remember there being a bluetooth update a few days ago.

15. dL. macrumors 6502

I have the same problem as OP. It would turn green then red immediately.

Please help!

dL