Is it ever unwise to buy a newly released iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KevinRightWing, Oct 3, 2015.

1. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

I really want to but a new iPhone 6s plus. Is the first batch of newly released phones ever more prone to bugs? Just curious if I should wait a few weeks or just buy now and it really doesn't make a difference. My instinct tells me they are all the same, but you guys are the experts.

Thanks in advance

2. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I always buy launch day phones, never had any issues.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Buy now! :) If something comes up you have a year to get it fixed or replaced (two with AppleCare).

4. Silver Idaten macrumors 6502

Aren't the new 6S Pluses supposed to have new components that were in short supply for launch? Maybe it's worth waiting for the second wave, should be middle of the month.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have always bought on launch day and have never had to replace any of my iPhone's. With so many produced there are bound to be some bad ones, but they are mostly far and few between. You are always covered by warranty.

6. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It isn't a matter of being wise or not.
    Potentially, first batches could have some defects, but this isn't a rule and most of the times is just not true.
    I'm usually waiting a couple of months before buy.

7. ChinaRye macrumors 6502

ChinaRye

I've never had any problems and always get on launch day. This is more true of first gen of a new product line.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

My launch weekend 6S Plus (purchased on 9/26/15 at the Apple store is flawless.

9. Mike B in ok macrumors member

Mike B in ok

You have two risks from buying on the first day:

1) there could be a fundamental issue of some sort with the phone. Something along lines of how some people perceived the old antennagate or bendgate "scandals" (I'm not looking to refight those here). Assuming you traded in or sold your old phone before realizing the problem, you might be stuck with a new phone that you don't like as well as your old phone. This kind of risk is probably lower with the S models.

2) there could be a bad batch of parts or a flawed assembly technique in the first batch that wasn't discovered until mass production. This is probably something that could be fixed or replaced under warranty, so is less of a concern. This is probably equally (un)likely in the S models and the base models. It is definitely less likely with phones in later production runs.

If you are willing to switch systems back-and-forth between phones, you would have the risk that another phone, Android or Windows, might come out shortly after your purchase that you would like better. But I don't think there are many people like that, especially among iPhone buyers. Our only choice seems to be big screen or small screen!

You have to decide how likely these problems are. I think the first and second problems are more likely with the company such as Samsung that produces many models each year than with Apple. My response to this was to pre-order my iPhone 6s Plus for the first day. And I've chosen similarly in the past. I figure that if this is the phone I want, I want to start enjoying it as soon as possible! I am happy with my choice so far.