Is it fair for me to request a replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello Everyone,

So I've been having problems with my Macbook Pro (early 08). Keep in mind, all of this has happened within the past month. Initially I sent my MBP in because:

1) 12 dead pixels on the display
    2) Defective Hinge
    3) crooked keys on the keyboard
    4) the mouse stuck out from the wristpad
    5) sleep light stopped working
    6) slightly painful electric shock when you plug it into 220 V european electricity
    7) Nvidia graphics issues

They sent it back essentially replacing everything except the HD, CD drive, battery, outer case, and magsafe adapter.

When I looked at the job they did, I was horrified to see:
    1) all my screws stripped,
    2) the palm rest bulging out by 2 mm from one side, and
    3) the hinge still did not work. I started up the machine and
    4) the magsafe got so hot it was not holdable in your hand and I smelt something burning. I sent it back a second time.

I got it back and they replaced the logic board a second time, gave me a new outer case and palmwrest, and replaced the logic board a second time.

But now there was this strange sound from the speakers when you try and play a sound. The re-installed the OS and are sending it back to me.

Is this normal? I certainly appreciate the speed that they're taking care of everything (~1 week per time sent in), but there comes a point when you just get sick and tired of sending your computer out. I thought these sorts of things didn't happen to Macs. Honestly, I've owned a Dell, Compaq, and built my own PC. None of them had any problems except for the Dell (which only had one). This Mac is the first computer I've owned where I've needed a backup.

While the computer was out for the second repair, I emailed sjobs@apple and asked for a replacement, pointing to the fact that while it's only the second time i'm sending in the computer, I'm sending it in with many issues instead of being nitpicky and sending it in again and again.

They're basically just saying "aww yeah, we understand it's an inconvenience but you're not getting a replacement". Am I being unreasonable in expecting a replacement with so much going wrong?

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

three seems to be the charm. But i blame apple for trying to make it so thin and lite that the components suck. The shock thing seems to be normal for people not in the US.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Apple does not like to give out replacements, at all. You have to have at least three repairs on a significant part of the computer for them to even consider giving you a replacement. For my MacBook Pro I sent it out 4 times and then the final time it was out of my hands for almost a month and they sent it back damaged, then they offered me a replacement to rectify that. For my MacBook Air, it had to nearly catch on fire to get a replacement after sending it in for repair multiple times. You can always try your luck, but don't expect a replacement.

4. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

youd think they'd have a more flexible system. If I wanted to take advantage of their situation, I could have sent it in 4 times just for the first batch of repairs. oh well, hopefully i won't have to send it in again....

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

While I appreciate your frustration and sincerely hope you get it resolved quickly and favorably, I would suggest you should always have a backup and a strategic backup strategy, regardless of the system or hardware you are using ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Even at this late stage I would try and play the 'not fit for purpose' card and push hard for a replacement.
    I wouldnt really want it back either after its been ripped apart by a monkey on acid. If it dont come out of the factory right in the first place there is only a slim chance it will ever get fixed correctly - and zero chance if it doesnt get fixed on the first go.
    If you dont get a replacement - and this is the reason I dont buy MBP's from eBay - I would cut your losses and list it for sale on eBay as 'MacBook Pro, mint, new baby forces reluctant sale'

7. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

ha ha ha! actually the thought did cross my mind. i never thought of using a baby as an excuse...

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't think that any company's replacement system would be more flexible. The economics of replacement units are not favorable to the company, which is why they usually make it difficult. And you probably couldn't have sent it in 4 times because Apple checks everything else when they send it in (at least they're supposed to).

9. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

My view differs on the economics you mention. I think that if you worked out ALL the costs to apple in repairing the computer lets say 3x times - postage costs, materials, admin and of course a technician to access and repair the MBP I think its not a kick in the arse off the manufacture cost to apple of a new unit.

10. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I am now getting my 4th 15" MBP replacement, and Apple did not want to replace the computer unless it was considered DOA, which it was the first three times. But the last time it took a hour to get someone to say it was DOA. It was doing the same thing as before and I basically called and said I was unhappy with my purchase, I would not accept this computer, and that the time it was taking to get a functioning computer was ridiculous. I finally got my issue resolved by insisting on talking to a top managerial representative, who solved my problem in minutes. Don't waste your time with the average Apple phone person, just have them escalate you. The higher up people will give you far less bull.

11. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

with how many things went wrong in my first repair, I was surprised that they didn't just offer a replacement there. Making these things on an assembly line in China is cheap. Paying technicians in Houston to unpack, replace with new parts (that you also pay for) is expensive.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Yikes sounds like you got a lemon and the duller repair agents. If I were in your position, I'd definitely ask for a replacement and not leave until I got one. Considering the amount of money you've invested into your system, you deserve to have it at least meet normal standards.

13. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

My problem is that I'm already in touch with the executive customer relations people and they're saying no. :( In all honesty, if I could be assured this computer would be reliable, I wouldn't care, I'm just worried there will be more issues. Especially within the next 6 months, I'll be in Turkey working in the medical field and I don't think Apple has support there.

14. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Oh. I guess you have no other choice then. :(

The sound thing sounds like more of a minor problem, but I understand your concern regarding future problems. There's really not much else I can say... :(

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Haha. Making them on the assembly line, paying for all of the components, and shipping them is not cheap. Imagine if they just gave out replacements at the first sign of trouble. That dilutes the average cost of each unit to the point of non-profitibility. They would still have to fix the broken units anyways, unless your economic sense recommends just throwing them out.

16. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

so you're saying that replacing every single component of the machine other than the HD, CD drive, and battery will be cheaper than taking a machine off the assembly line? That's ridiculous.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

First of all, "every single component of the machine other than the HD, CD drive, and battery" leaves what... the logic board and the screen? A logic board replacement takes a good tech a half an hour. That tech is paid maybe $30/hr. An Apple Logic board probably costs several hundreds of dollars to buy new, leaving Apple's staff upwards of tens of hours to diagnose the problem and reinstall it before they start losing money on it. A similar argument applies to the screen, although those are less expensive to buy for Apple.

And if there's nothing wrong with the HD, SuperDrive, and battery, why should those be tossed with the rest of the machine?

18. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

I think you make a fair point that apple just cant hand out replacements for every single little fault and must attempt to repair when they can. However when a machine is returned more than twice lets say, with major parts replaced each time and you add up ALL the costs involved in this (dont just say $30/hr for the tech - what about the techs 'costs of employment to apple and indeed the very building he stands in - the admin staff - their emploment costs ....I could go on and on.) you would find that just providing a new unit would be as cost effective and also put the customer to less trouble.

19. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

No, it leaves (all replaced):

1) upper and lower external case
    2) upper and lower latch mechanism
    3) isight camera
    4) keyboard
    5) palmwrest
    6) magsafe adapter
    7) trackpad
    8) logic board
    9) i/o power unit
    10) sleep light
    11) display

All of these things failed except the external case, which was damaged during their repair.