Is it feasible? Using PD7 to install Win7 on a USB 3.0 flash drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RadioAhead, Jun 18, 2012.

1. RadioAhead macrumors newbie

I am new to OSX and considering buying a new 2012 MBA 13" with i5, 8g ram, 128g SSD. 256GB SSD will be sweet since Win7 is necessary for me. However, $300 is way too expensive, I can't afford. So I was wondering if it is feasible to install Win 7 on a Usb 3.0 flash drive using PD7. ( I don't like bootcamp.) Then, everytime when I have to use win7, I can just insert my "win 7 usb flahs drive". Is it ok?
    Thanks.

Note: what software I will use under win7? Pro/e 5.0, Labview, nothing else.

2. hashholly macrumors 6502

Do you mean Parallels? Id imagine you'd be able to since you can chose the location of saving your VM, I just don't think you will be able to get it to run well on a flash drive, even its USB 3.0. How fast is the flash drive?

3. RadioAhead thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I mean Parallels. I find a really fast usb 3.0 flash drive. Both read or write speeds achieved about 190 mb/s. It also offers 64gb option. I think it is faster than most HDDs. Here is the video of its test. (skip to 1:28)
    http://youtu.be/OHOOy-FqDm8

If this sandisk usb 3.0 flash drive is ok to run win 7 based on Parallel desktop 7, then I would just go the based MBA 13" + 8g ram.

4. hashholly macrumors 6502

You should be fine then!