Is it fine if someone steps on the power adapter's cable by mistake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, Jan 11, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    Is it fine if someone steps on the power adapter's cable by mistake? Can it withstand it?

2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    It is okay to step on either the thicker or the thinner cable, it can withstand that kind of pressure.

Haven't you ever stepped on any kind of cable?
  3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

Jan 15, 2006
    The Kop
    The cable itself is pretty durable. Mine has been trodden on a fair number of times in it's life. That is not to say that it is indestructible and it could, of course, break in a rare case.
  4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2010
    I am honestly shocked.... I cannot fathom every asking this question.

5. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    lol, sorry for asking :D couldn't get it off my head. Yes, I think it should be fine too.
  6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

Apr 6, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Yes, the cable has an unintentional contact sensor, but the moment you step on it intentionally that's when you get into trouble.
  7. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    Indeed :)
  8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

Dec 5, 2009
    That question is not that far from the famous discussion about bending LAN cables around corners. Somebody still has the link somewhere.
    You know the one where they start arguing about whether the electrons fly out of the cable because the corner is too tight and if it helps too form a ground loop with the cable. ;)
  9. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2010
    hehe :D
  10. barmann macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2010
    Trouble is , stepping on the power cord will void the warranty.
    There is micro damage that will increase the voltage, and eventually fry the motherboard.

That's why Apple has a lab in every repair center that can detect even the tiniest traces of shoe prints, sock fibres and skin molecules from bare feet.

The OP is in serious trouble, I'm afraid.
  11. NickZac macrumors 68000

Dec 11, 2010
    OH THE IRONY!!!!!

It is good to be stepped on but I wouldn't advise making a habit out of it or using the smaller cord to double-dutch.
  12. joeshaw92 macrumors member

Jan 6, 2011
    What? Are you saying you survived stepping on it?!

I expected the cable to be fine, but I'm amazed that you came out if it was well as it did. You, sir, must possess some kind of super human powers. Your powers are probably the most powerful in the world. You'll have to keep your powers a secret though as the government would want to control someone as powerful as you probably are. You would have to live your life on the run, never settling down in one place for long. The government would probably hunt you down and fiifty of them would point their guns at you and you would concentrate and the guns would float up in the air or turn into sticks and the men would say "He is more powerful than we thought possible."