Is it flat screen or flat panel????

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jc0481, Aug 24, 2005.

  1. jc0481 macrumors regular

    Mar 16, 2005
    I have always corrected people on FLAT PANEL monitors when they say "flat screen". I do know flat panel is the correct term. I am referring more to the television like the plasma, lcd and those new dlp from texas instruments (digital light processor) anyways I see a lot of advertisements, both on print and tv and it says "FLAT SCREEN TV". Just need people's help into which is the correct saying. Thanks
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    The most common, consistent usage (discounting people who just say whatever :D) I have seen, in the US, is:

    Flat Screen = any kind of display except Plasma and LCD, which is flat on the front surface

    Flat Panel = Plasma or LCD displays only, because these displays have a panel, in the sense of a panel of liquid crystals or plasma tubes, rather than having an image projected (internally or externally) onto a screen.

    EDIT: I would consider a DLP to be a Flat Screen, too, and not a Flat Panel, because the DLP still projects the image onto a screen, as far as I understand the technology. It just has a wider cone angle and can support a unit that is less deep.

    But I don't think there is broad acceptance. I just think that, where people make a point of differentiating, that's the most common line I see drawn.
  3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

    Jan 6, 2004

    screen only refers to the actual front of the screen that you view the image on.. if it is in deed FLAT then it is a flat screen.. but like most older tvs which have a tube, they have a convex like shape for the actual screen.. the panel refers to whats behind the screen. what produces the image.. so if it is a flat panel of lcd or plasma then it is a flat panel display.. if there is a tube then it is not flat panel... thus you are correct in your corrections
  4. CoMpX macrumors 65816


    Jun 29, 2005
    New Jersey
  5. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Thanks for clearing up one of the most uninteresting questions. Sorry about my comment to the author of this thread. :)
  6. tuartboy macrumors 6502a


    May 10, 2005
    DLP is a technology used in TI-based projectors, not really a flat panel, per se. IIRC, it's really a spinning wheel and mirrors and other doo dads.
  7. tuartboy macrumors 6502a


    May 10, 2005
    You stupid, tuartboy. NO wheel. Must have mixed up your tech.


Share This Page