Is it harmful for iMac...?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mifka, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mifka macrumors member

mifka

Is it harmful for iMac to be put very often into SLEEP mode?I mean I keep it in sleep mode while not using it and when I need it for 1min to look for some information I wake up it and after a minute put it back into sleep mode and sometimes, immediately after putting in sleep, I accidentaly touch a keybord button and iMac wakes up again and I need to put it back in sleep. It happen unfortunately very often :) :)
    So is it somehow harmful for iMac's hardware?
    And one more question: there were some strong earthquakes, and iMac was working during the strong earthquakes, was it harmful for iMac(for example for HDD or processor)? How to verify if it is allright?
    Thx.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

It will be fine to do that. It's probably less harmful to do what you are doing than to shut it down and restart it all the time.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

lol, if I were you I wouldn't put it to sleep so often if you're just going to wake it again.

Set an idle time for it to sleep. Mine is set for about 2 hours. However, after just 30 mins, I have my screen turn off.

4. Gregoros macrumors newbie

I put my iMac to sleep only 'once a day' before going to bed, but
    i have been wondering is there REALLY a difference between sleep and shutting down?

I have been wondering this because, when you put iMac to sleep it sounds kinda like it's shutting down and i don't think the hd does anything while in sleep...