Is it healthy to keep my MacBook Pro on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sultanoflondon, Dec 4, 2014.

1. sultanoflondon macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro, Late 2014, with 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. I recently bought it.

I was wondering whether it would be best to leave it on 24/7 or to switch it on and off when using it, etc.?

I have an iMac and that is always left on, after advice from this forum...

Please help, thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just close the lid to sleep it when you're not using it. There are dozens of "sleep or shutdown" threads where you'll find many Mac users run months at a time without shutting down. Either is perfectly fine. One thing to consider is that there are maintenance scripts that run on a daily, weekly and monthly schedule. If your Mac is in sleep mode at the scheduled time, the scripts will run the next time your Mac is awake. If your Mac is shut down at the scheduled time, the scripts won't run until the next scheduled time. If your Mac is always shut down at those times, the scripts will never run, unless you manually run them or change the default schedule. You can manually run the scripts using the Maintidgit widget.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I leave my computer on all the time. That way I can remotely access it while in the office.

Since these machines are all electronic, i.e., no mechanical moving parts any more. There's really no wear and tear on them.