Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It would depend on the TOS from Apple's app store and/or the App itself.

IMO ... Your morally justified. You paid, so there's no theft.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Is it illegal for me to use an app from installous because it worked when a normal copy didn't even if I paid for the real copy?

Aka, I bought PvZ, and it didn't work. I downloaded an installous copy and it worked.

As long as you don't violate the EULA, the agreement between you and the dev, you should be good to go. Regardless of how you installed something, the most important is that you have paid for it. Who should sue you, on what grounds and for how much money, btw?

JZTech101

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
East Brunswick, NJ
Is it illegal for me to use an app from installous because it worked when a normal copy didn't even if I paid for the real copy?

Aka, I bought PvZ, and it didn't work. I downloaded an installous copy and it worked.

No it is not. As long as you have a proof of purchase that you can show to court it is legal. I personally had to do that same with Pages, Numbers and Keynote because Apple made them require iOS 5.1. (I want an untethered Jailbreak).

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Yes you are entitled to install the software you purchased. The illegal cracked version downloaded is NOT what you legally purchased.

No rationale allowed to justify the act. Sorry.

So who is then who didn't get theirs? The developer? Apple? The cracker?

Who lost money here?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
As long as you don't violate the EULA, the agreement between you and the dev, you should be good to go. Regardless of how you installed something, the most important is that you have paid for it. Who should sue you, on what grounds and for how much money, btw?

By downloading an cracked version of the software you are indeed breaking the EULA, Those apps had their encryption link remove, allowing access to code that not only the developer intended to be protected but the system count on those process being protected, it have been cases where hacker had modify the installer to add their own code with malicious intentions.

Regardless of who or the amount of money that had been lost (if any), it is not the right thing to do, if the OP or any user have any issues with App that don't work properly, contacting the developer is the right thing to do, you can either get the App replace or your money refund.

If the app is not longer available, then you are again breaking the EULA, since you are having access to something that was purposely removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.