Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
is it impossible to have an app that turns the camera into a manual camera?

No. It's not impossible.

Yes. It is possible.

Do any apps currently have this? Not that I am aware of, but I don't use many camera apps (aside from the default). I learnt my lesson after buying Camera Genius & Camera+.

I'm sure you'll see these features eventually, if they aren't available already, in future camera apps & updates.

HairyPotter

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
and if the volume buttons could be used to snap a picture that would be nice....

No they can't. Apple won't allow it. Apps were banned in the past for using these buttons. According to Apple, volume buttons should be used for volume, or users will get confused... and I agree they have a point here.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
No they can't. Apple won't allow it. Apps were banned in the past for using these buttons. According to Apple, volume buttons should be used for volume, or users will get confused... and I agree they have a point here.

because iPhone users are so dumb/stupid they can't read a pop up that states that while this app is running, the volume controls have been reassigned to be triggers.

Yeah - I see what you mean - that would be WAY too confusing.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I get the idea he definitely knows that...

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

Lol, but all of Apple home button combinations won't be confusing for people? Double tap for multi tasking, hold for voice control, and triple tap for white on black. But no, people can figure out how to use the volume buttons to take a photo?

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Lol, but all of Apple home button combinations won't be confusing for people? Double tap for multi tasking, hold for voice control, and triple tap for white on black. But no, people can figure out how to use the volume buttons to take a photo?

None of those are application specific features though - they are system wide functions.

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
and if the volume buttons could be used to snap a picture that would be nice....

snaptap lets you take photos with volume controls (though you have to JB your phone) but it think its quite useless,unless you are using headphone remotecontrol to snap photos (volume controls are quite stiff..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.