Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

User12399

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Is it jailbreaking the iPhone or the 3rd party apps which are causing the battery life to decrease. I had winterboard, backgrounder and other apps installed yesterday and battery life was bad.

No I only have gb4iphone, terminal and cydia installed and the battery seems to be fine, so I was wondering this question.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Is it jailbreaking the iPhone or the 3rd party apps which are causing the battery life to decrease. I had winterboard, backgrounder and other apps installed yesterday and battery life was bad.

No I only have gb4iphone, terminal and cydia installed and the battery seems to be fine, so I was wondering this question.

Its how you use the apps. If you have a 3G I believe using apps like backgrounder will put a strain on the processor and battery life.

I JB yesterday and have since installed Lockinfo and its various plugins, quickreply, winterboard, backgrounder, kirikae, MyWi, Bosspaper, and Five Dock coverflow. Everything works great for me without any noticeable hit to the battery yet.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
ya its the apps not the JB. alot of apps run non stop and some apps wether JB or not do not terminate when you tell them to and you have to reboot but that is even in iTunes.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Jailbreaking itself does not install anything that runs in the background or could in any way affect your battery life. It is the applications you chose to install which affected your battery life. Those of us who've been around the jailbreaking scene know what things are to be avoided and which are safe. We also can judge which things are worth the battery drain and which are not. Personally, I use SBSettings but not Winterboard, Backgrounder and Kirikae, but not Proswitcher. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Anything that runs all the time in the background will affect your battery life; it is up to you to decide whether that battery drain is worth the added feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.