Is it just a sale or is it a sign?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aComicBookFan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. aComicBookFan macrumors member

I know lots of people are looking to grasp at whatever they can to try to predict when Apple will be updating its product line. This includes me too! :)

I just noticed that Mac Connection is offering a $50 rebate on their iMacs. Is that just a sale for the sake of having a sale? Or, is that a sign that they want to clear out inventory for a potential influx of updated machines?

Same goes for the Minis...

-=- Boris

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

They always have them with some mediocre mail-in-rebate.

3. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Best Buy and Amazon has had Apple products EXCEPT the iPad on sale for the last several weeks but it's only about $60-100 off MSRP.
    The discount/sale basically pays for tax.

4. aComicBookFan thread starter macrumors member

So how of a discount is typically indicative of a shop dumping old Apple inventory to make room for new?

-- Boris

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You simply are not going to find much of a discount on Apple products, even when new products are introduced. You can make yourself nuts looking for great deals and guessing when new products will be released. At the end of the day if you want a new Mac, iPad, etc.. shop when you're ready to buy and get on with it.

If you want to save money the best overall buys are buying Apple refurbished products from Apple's online store.

6. jcoop macrumors member

I don't see much reason for confusion about Apple's update schedule at this point. Intel is coming out with the new ivy Bridge platform in the April-June timeframe; it's inconceivable at this point that Apple would update the iMac before Ivy Bridge, and similarly inconceivable that Apple would wait long after the availability of Ivy Bridge to come out with new iMacs. So nothing imminent (within the next few weeks); after that, it's up to Intel.