Is it just me but my mid 2011 iMac seems problematic

Discussion in 'iMac' started by liquorice, Jan 18, 2015.

1. liquorice macrumors regular

liquorice

2 graphic card replacements, 2 screen replacement and 1 light drive replacement on my mi 2012 27 inch imac, am I just unlucky :rolleyes:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The GPU was a known fault (Radeongate with the HD 6970M), covered by Apple. It was a manufacturing flaw.

The rest...guess you got a double whammy.

3. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Bleck!!!

Yes, you are indeed unlucky, good thing apple has some warranty options out there. Keep on backing it up!

4. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

No, it isn't you. That model year had plenty of lemons and I got one very much like yours that kept melting itself. When it was time for the third screen replacement, I asked Apple to just replace the computer which they did with a brand new late 2013 which has been trouble free. I had Applecare and this replacement occurred at around 2 years in.

I would request a replacement whether or not you bought Applecare and if you don't get results at the first level, I would ask to be transferred up to the next level and so on until you do. If you cannot get results on the phone, I would write to Tim Cook pointing out that lemons in this model year due to heat issues are a known thing and that your computer was faulty from day one as such, therefore you want a replacement. Do not accept no for an answer.

I guess if Tim said no you'd be out of luck but I don't think that would happen. They know about this.