Is it just me? But snow leopard made everything purple?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yalag, Aug 31, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

I upgraded to snow leopard this weekend, and my desktop machine Mac Pro started showing everthing on screen with a little purple tint. The menu at the top for example, used to be blue on white background and black text. Now it's purple and white background. It's less noticeable in other areas, but I can see it. Anyone else?

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Maybe the menu bar has a purple tint because you have transparency turned on for your menu bar and your wallpaper is purple. If not, then I'm not really sure why that's happening to you.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Recalibrate your colour profile in displays options.

All my colour profiles have caused my screen to be purple in SL, except "default color LCD" for my macbook.

4. doobs macrumors regular

I noticed when calibrating my screen under Snow Leopard that the default gamma has been changed to 2.2 instead of 1.8 as it was under Leopard...maybe this is a factor?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Uncheck this box.

Attached Files:

6. Macjames macrumors 6502a

The blue used in the menu bar, translucent or not has a more purple tint than before.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

It looks the same as Leopard on my MacBook Pro and iMac.

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

it's not the trasparency as I said, it's more than just the menu bar. I'm going to try the calibration thing when I get home

9. SparkleX macrumors newbie

You don't get him right. He isn't talking about the menubar itself, but about the highlighting of menu entries when you hover them. In Leopard the hovering color was blue, but in Snow Leo it suddenly it's rather blue, as the thread starter stated. It also affects other blue graphics, like the Finder icon in the dock.

I attached an image of it I took with my mobile phone, but you actually can't see it there... But you'll see what the thread starter means.

I had the same problem, and to solve it I switched my color profile to "General RGB Profile".

Attached Files:

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

yeah, it looks like they increased the blue saturation in everything. makes it look "brighter". I wonder if they did the same thing to make it "snappier". just change some setting where scrolling or folder opening appears to happen faster but it's not really.

11. allthingsmac macrumors newbie

Here's what fixes it...

Trust me, you are not alone. As soon as I installed Snow Leopard, I could tell I was seeing everything blue. Not ready to sit and feel blue, I did some researching on my own and found that Apple changed the default color profile. Here's what to do to resolve the problem. Under "System Preferences" go to "Display". Check the checkbox that says: "Show profiles for this display only".
    Out of the remaining, choose, "Color LCD" and you should be back to the Leopard look and feel (without the blue tint)

Attached Files:

12. allthingsmac macrumors newbie

Oh well!

I was hoping the screenshots will show the color tint difference. But they look the same! Anyway, this fixed it for me. Hope this helps you too.

13. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Color profiles adjust how information is sent to your display. The UI elements do not change color, thus screenshots will never show anything that is display-bound.

14. allthingsmac macrumors newbie

:) I realized that later... well at least the annoying tint is gone for me!

15. chayzlett2004 macrumors newbie

Actually, I was wondering about the menu bar...

I know that it may not be the case of the original poster, but I found this discussion because I was looking for an answer as to why my menu bar had a purple tint on the right hand side. Is this just a snow leopard thing? The funny think is I have had snow leopard installed for months and it is just now happening. I noticed it last night and thought my screen was going out, but then realized it is just my menu bar. It almost looks like an old tube television that had a magnet stuck to it... Any thoughts?

16. alleycat macrumors regular

I'm wondering myself. I did an Eye-One calibration after installing Snow Leopard. My blues went into a more violet hue, and it just didn't feel right. Especially printing with the Guten-garbage print drivers. Back to old Leopard, and everything looks as it should with the blues and printing. I give up! :rolleyes: