Is it just me or does 2.0 kinda suck?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Stang68, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Dont get me wrong, the features in 2.0 are absolutely stunning, but does anyone see their touch as being slower since the update? I feel like I am getting frustrated with the device more than when it had the 1.XX firmwares. For example, it takes way too long to get to the WiFi screen in the options menu. It just sits there, like its loading. This never happened before 2.0.

What do the rest of you think? Is 2.0 buggier/slower than 1.XX firmwares?

2. linden macrumors regular

linden

Oh yea.

3. agargar macrumors member

Yes, I also have a lot of problems!

It takes much longer to catch the wi-fi's.

Safari is crushing or freezing very often. The scrolling often doesn't work and the touch screen is not reacting. Eg. if you tap at an input field, it does not react or it takes very long to do it. Even when typing in things is much slower!

Sometimes, after installing a new app, all of them stop working! When I start any app. the window pops up, remains frozen and after 2 secs closes itself!.
    I tried shutting down and up, but it does not always work. Sometimes after insatalling a new app, it start working again!
    I have to say, I think the ver 2 is very buggy...

4. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

The best iPhone that I have ever owned was a 1.1.1 jailbroken iPhone.

I bought all the hype surrounding the 2.0 release, and did a clean upgrade, but that quickly faded after a day or two. Now I am stuck on 2.0.

I wish Apple would at least allow a tool to customize the icons with themes. That is one thing I really miss, as it made the phone seem so much more personal. Now it looks just like everyone else's.

I just don't think I could jailbreak again. iPhone 2.0 has so many problems as it is, that I would not want to add any more possibilities of bugs to it.

5. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, thats basically what I am experiencing! Apple better fix this!

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

This should all hopefully be fixed in the free 2.1 update promised by Apple that is due in a couple of weeks.

7. longwood macrumors regular

delayed wifi connection, decreased battery life and slow response time. i'm hoping the next update will fix at least one of these.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not seeing any of these issues. The only one I've experienced with 2.0 is that sometimes, something seems to keep running which wipes out the battery. It's as if music is continuing to play even though the it's been paused and the iPod put into sleep mode. When I wake it up, the battery is dead, dead, dead. This has happened several times since updating. Otherwise, 2.0 has been fine.

9. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Do you have your "Fetch New Data" set to Push? I've heard of that draining people's batteries, maybe try switching it to "Every 15 Minutes" and see if that makes a difference.

10. fake1009 macrumors member

the noises such as the clicking noises when i type are out of synch. They make their noises about half a second after i press the button.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I already have push set to hourly. The mysterious thing is it happens only intermittently, I think after I've paused playing music.

12. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Hmm interesting. Perhaps try not leaving music paused when your not going to use your iPod, I don't know if thats the problem but if you noticed it then maybe it is. Whatever the reason, theres no doubt the battery is different with 2.0. Do you leave Wi-Fi on at night?

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The music definitely is stopped when this happens. I have verified this after syncing back to my Mac and checking the Last Played times. I leave the wifi on 24/7, but the battery draining happens only rarely. No obvious pattern. I can only guess at why.

14. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone just had their iPod stop playing music completely? Because sometimes, mine will think it's playing, but not output any noise, so it requires a force quit of the music app or even a restart sometimes.

15. slomifier macrumors regular

tx, I thought I was the only one who had this. Happens couple times a week.

16. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

You know what the really lame thing is? As slow as my Touch is after installing 2.0, my iPhone 3G is even WORSE. The iPod feels so quick and responsive after using my iPhone all day, and yet I know after using the Touch since 1.1.1 that it too is sluggish and laggy.

Lame. LAME. LAME!!!

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't experienced this "lag" which some people do evidently. My touch doesn't seem to be any faster or slower since the 2.0 update. What lags, specifically?

18. ohsnap macrumors regular

I listen to a lot of audiobooks so I have many m4b files. I also experience this with m4v video files. Each of them are at least 90 minutes in length, I love that I can stop the file and come back to the exact same point at a later time. In theory. After 2.0 was released, more often than not, my iTouch will forget my bookmark in a given m4b file and I have to go hunting for the place I left off. Strangely, this happens when I recharge it in a stand-alone wall charger instead of my Mac Book Pro. It will also happen at random times. I can leave off, switch to something else like a move or Youtube video or just use MobileSafari, come back even a few minutes later and everything has been reset. Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

19. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I am running 2.0.1 jailbroken-it is great-I LOVE winterboard and the addition of the software installed when jailbreaking does not seem to have affected anything-and the addition of things such as boss preferences allows for a one button reboot when needed.

I recommend it :)

20. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Umm, everything?

Seriously, it takes much longer to open the stocks apps (especially Settings and its sub-menus) than it used to. And the iPhone 3G is even worse. It takes two-three seconds to open the iPod app, the same or longer for Settings, four-five seconds (sometimes) to open the phone app, etc. And that's with four or five reboots per day.

The 2.0 software is SUBSTANTIALLY slower than 1.1.X ever was.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks for being more specific, but oddly enough I guess, I don't have this experience with my touch. It seems just about the same as before.

22. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

What I really like (and also find the most annoying) about the new firmware is it allows the home button to be used differently. Previously, two clicks on the home button would bring up the music menu while one brings you back to the home page. Now, you have to use the home button as a touch pad to bring up the home page, and clicking once brings up the music. Is anyone else annoyed at this, or found a way to bring it back to how it was?

23. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Although all versions of 2.0 are slower, certain ones are slower than others. 5A345 has less speed problems than the others, get that if you don't have it already (the later versions are more iPhone friendly, not iPod).

24. agargar macrumors member

:confused::confused:
    I have Ver. 2.0.2 (5C1) and the home buttom just works like before (2 clicks->music, 1 click->Home). And I don't see where I can change it...

25. sirjorj macrumors newbie

Sound like I'm not the only one thinking that the upgrade to 2.0 isn't as good as I'd hoped. The app store is nice but the overall slowdowns are annoying. Last night I tried something I heard Leo Laporte mention on one of his podcasts (MacBreak Weekly, i think it was). I did a factory reset like this:
    1) Plug it in (and probably let it synch in case you added something to the ipod)
    2) hold down the home button and the sleep button. it will prompt to shut down, then shut down, then reboot - just keep holding them down. When you see the apple logo, let go of sleep, but not home. you will see the itunes/usb icon. then let go.
    3) iTunes will ask if you want to reset the iPod to factory default - say yes.
    4) at some point it will ask if you want to recover from backup or set it up like a new device. choose new.
    5) when it's done, resync all your songs, videos, pics, apps, etc. to it.

I know these instructions are easy to find with google, but I am repeating them because I really think it made a difference. My iPod Touch is a lot snappier now. The transitions between apps are smoother and delays are reduced.

I heard Leo and one of the other co-hosts say once that installing Apps from the onboard App store has led to problems - you're better off getting them in iTunes and syncing them to the device. Not sure if that is still true, but it did seem like it slowed down a bit when i got TouchTerm from wifi.

Anyway, the Factory Reset method did help me.

jorj