Is it just me or does aperture noise reduction SUCK

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cole JM, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Cole JM macrumors regular

I came from lightroom, it seems that apertures noise reduction doesnt even compair. have you guys noticed the same thing?
    :mad:

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

I agree. It doesn't do much of anything. If I need noise reduction I usually end up using Adobe Camera Raw from Photoshop Elements, but that only works with my raw files, obviously. Sometimes I want to denoise an iPhone shot, and I don't have much available. I can't justify buying Lightroom just for the noise reduction. At some point I may get an Aperture plugin like Topaz for noise reduction.

3. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Aperture's noise reduction isn't too bad, but Adobe's is far superior. Over the past few versions of Lightroom, Adobe has greatly improved the noise reduction. To the point where Lightroom 3 competes with standalone programs such as Noise Ninja for noise reduction.

Keleko: If you use Adobe Bridge, it allows you to open a JPEG in Camera Raw. It doesn't give you all of the great features of shooting in RAW, but it will allow you to use the noise reduction.

4. Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular

I hope they fix it or something, it shouldnt be that hard.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

It is that hard. Apple and Adobe, and other 3rd party developers, pay some very smart people some very good money to write a computer program that can figure out which pixels are meant to be that colour, and which pixels are not supposed to be that colour - and what colour they are supposed to be. All without the programmer ever actually seeing the scene that the photographer is trying to clean up.

6. Cole JM thread starter macrumors regular

I mean, it shouldnt be hard for apple to go and buy a company and use their code.

7. Keleko macrumors 68000

I got a trial version of the Topaz tools, and I really like how well Topaz DeNoise works. Now I have to figure out if I really want to spend the money on it or not.

I don't have Adobe Bridge because I only have Photoshop Elements 9, and Bridge isn't included in that.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Oh really? I thought bridge came with all of Adobe's programs, guess not.

Also, Noise Ninja is nice for removing noise. That's what I've used when a standalone program was needed.