Is it just me or does YouTube choke a lot?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by otis123, Apr 18, 2010.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I have fios, and an 802.11n airport extreme so it's not my connection, but YouTube is kind of a dog on my iPad, same with apple movie trailers. Is it just me or is everyone else experiencing this?

2. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

I agree. It's fine on my desktop, but slow on my ipad, while the rest of the Internet is fine in my ipad. It almost seems like YouTube is more restrictive on the bandwidth for their mobile services.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

YouTube pauses every 10 secs on my MacBook, via wifi on a 30mbs Roadrunner connection, AEBS N 5GHZ. The rest of the web is blazing fast.

YouTube seems to throttle service in areas of high demand (I'm in NYC), and perhaps they're starting to throttle to devices of high demand.

4. otis123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Google throttle something? Unheard of! But seriously I hope they aren't, I'm in Seattle so maybe they are throttling in high population areas.

5. StBDawg macrumors regular

My Youtube on my iPad has always been blazing fast, a lot faster than on my MBP. Weird.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

*** People, post your ISP / connection type (i.e. fios, dsl, cable, etc). ***

I talked to Genius Bar last week. They said a certain ISP / service seems to like to create problems for iPad.

Edit, my connection, having occasional problems:
    FIOS
    N, 5.0 ghz
    WPA2

7. Milfin macrumors regular

i feel the studder when i have 30% and below battery life

8. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I was messing with this yesterday. YouTube videos would freeze up on the iPad, but play just fine on my Air... tied them one after the other. I shut down the iPad and restarted it and it seemed to be better for a while but then choked after the first two three minute vids.

Otherwise, the web is very fast on the iPad.

I have a 500GB Time Capsule WiFi N router on a 25MB Cox connection so I know it's not my hardware.

Very irritating.

Otherwise... I love this thing!

9. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Just to add, this happens on my iPhone 3GS as well. I have U-Verse 18/1.5 package and watching on my phone at home is a pain. Often the video won't load, period.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

People,

Post your ISP / connection type: cable, dsl, fios, etc / WiFi connection: n, g

and whether it works for your or if you are having problems. Thanks. Maybe we'll see some patterns.

11. clovis112 macrumors regular

i have been having random chokes as well..

i got astound cable internet..

12. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I had the same issue. At first it wouldn't work on many videos but I changed some settings on my router. I think it's more of a wi-fi issue with certain routers rather than the isp. It seemed to help by setting my router to G only and giving the iPad a dedicated IP address rather than using DHCP. I have AT&T DSL Elite(6mbps). Looking forward to an update to correct the wireless issues.

13. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

You tube is slow like that on my touch, here at home and at my parents.

I don't use it a lot at all, and don't think it has even been tried on the iPad.

I have comcast & my parents have dsl. Both of us have airport extremes.

14. big samm macrumors 65816

I had the same problem with my 3gs YouTube was allways choking... I mean it's faster on 3g with high quality(I'm jailbroken)... What you guys should do is check your router... I had a brand new router in a box that I wasent using plug it and now YouTube is blazing fast I press play and the video starts right away... No more waiting and no more choking...
    Like I said check your router...

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Are you choking? On the assumption that you aren't, that leaves YouTube. Did we need a thread to answer this? :D

From another point of view: It doesn't appear to be YouTube but rather the iPads that are choking on YouTube (since many in this thread admit it works fine on their PCs). The iPad gets YouTube over WiFi. There are acknowledged problems with WiFi on the iPad. I suggest waiting for (and praying a little) for a firmware update from Apple to address the issue. That or a recall. ;)

16. aluren macrumors 65816

Same here. Using Charter's 10MB cable internet and it is slow as hell. I have no problems with my internet when playing PS3 online games through Wi-Fi. So yeah, this sucks...

17. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Using Verizon DSL 7.1 Mbs and mostly all sires work great and serve me up the max BW they give per d/l. BUT, ever since Google took over U tube most of their video streaming SUX! Sutters, Buffers and stops.

Streaming Netflix works flawless so it's not my ISP. To me Google has ruined utube. :(

18. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

AT&T DSL. The Youtube app is next to worthless, but watching from the website itself is fast. Strange.

19. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

No issues at home. When I was at a Holiday Inn in Monterey over the weekend, Youtube was unusable because of the crappy wifi in the hotel (and yes, I confirmed it on my phone and one other laptop...I wanted to make sure it wasn't the iPad's Wifi :p ).

At home I have Comcast 50MB connection....with WDS setup between 2 routers.....no problems.

20. fishepa macrumors regular

Same problem with AT&T DSL. I just switch to Charter cable but haven't had a chance to check with it yet.

21. Pixelryan macrumors newbie

Time Warner cable in southern California here. Youtube HD videos pause after a few seconds and lower ones after a few minutes. It takes way more than the length of the video to buffer it (it's unusable). My PC, game consoles and Mac in the same network never have issues. Other sites that stream video are fine.

22. akm3 macrumors 68020

I notice that Youtube over 3G on my iPhone is smooth, but lower quality, and Youtube over wifi on the my iPhone is higher quality, but stuttery.

It seems that it adjusts the quality of the feed based on your type of connection, and for at least my iPhone (and my iPad) the quality of the wi-fi stream can't be kept up with well either with my hardware or from my ISP.

It seems to work OK on the Macbook Pro though, so that makes me think it's the iPhone/iPad hardware.

23. nippyjun macrumors 65816

24. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I'm on a 3Mbs ads connection using a wireless n router and Youtube chokes a lot for me too.