Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobierules

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Maybe it is just me. But, Apple has turned into Best Buy! Arrogant sales associates, crappy customer service and you dread when you have to deal with them! I have been on the phone for 1 hour and 22 minutes because my phone will not keep a charge. No apple store near me and when i did live near a store, they were just like dealing geek squad, all the did was try to feed you a line of BS and get you out of the store. I hate dealing with them. But, there is no alternative know. Shame on them for what they have become!I used to praise their customer service and products. Now I DESPISE them!

Reactions: BPMCH02

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
I guess it depends on which store you go to, but I've had nothing but great experiences with them. FAR better than I would ever get dealing with some android OEM over the phone for repairs.

I do admit though, as Apple gets more and more popular their stores are getting absolutely HAMMERED with traffic. With that many customers it's hard to maintain a great level of customer service, but imo Apple handles it admirably.

P.S. I see threads on the forum all the time praising Apple customer service for being nice and replacing something that was out of warranty or didn't have to.

Reactions: Simche and Tsuchiya

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I guess it depends on which store you go to, but I've had nothing but great experiences with them. FAR better than I would ever get dealing with some android OEM over the phone for repairs.

I do admit though, as Apple gets more and more popular their stores are getting absolutely HAMMERED with traffic. With that many customers it's hard to maintain a great level of customer service, but imo Apple handles it admirably.

P.S. I see threads on the forum all the time praising Apple customer service for being nice and replacing something that was out of warranty or didn't have to.
I couldn't agree more. Well stated.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

I agree with all of that. My local Apple is always packed, and the geniuses are under incredible pressure. How they do such an amazing job, with the level of stress they must be under to see everyone, and still keeping a smile on their face amazes me. I know I wouldn't have the temperament to deal with it.

Reactions: Simche

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
My local apple store is hopeless. I hate going to them, as I almost always know the problem, I just need them to do a warranty repair, but it just becomes an absolute bloody disaster. Took me 10 visits to get the faulty battery in my Macbook Pro fixed.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is a strange assertion. I'm sorry you have best buy (and now apparently Apple). I guess there is amazon. Never deal with a person fave to face again.

Ticocg59

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2014
CD'A Idaho
I have found both on line and in store excellent customer service, sure the stores are crowded .. But they do have a very popular product.. I just found out a new neighbor is a store manager... Hopefully this will turn out to be a very good contact in the event of issues in the future..

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I agree with all of that. My local Apple is always packed, and the geniuses are under incredible pressure. How they do such an amazing job, with the level of stress they must be under to see everyone, and still keeping a smile on their face amazes me. I know I wouldn't have the temperament to deal with it.
It's very difficult indeed. I have a high pressure customer facing job with lots of volume and it's very difficult and I make much more money than Apple retail employees make.. I don't know how they can do it for so long and consistently on that level of low pay..

dsr2

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Although my local store is always crowded (central NJ) and I usually have to wait for someone, I've found the CS to be very good. Always friendly and chatty and the guys that have helped me at the Genius Bar were pretty knowledgeble. I guess it helps that I'm a bit of a techie and don't need to much help setting up things, but I've never run into an unpleasant CSR.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The Apple two stores I frequent, are very good. The sales associates are friendly helpful and fairly knowledgeable.

Not for nothing, I was at BestBuy yesterday and I had a saleswoman who was very helpful, we were deciding on what washing machine to buy and she was patient, informative and willing to help us out. :)

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
My local store is usually not packed, at least when I go. The associates are friendly, but most of them know next to nothing about tech. You try and ask them any question about the specs of the machine beyond what is listed and they go into shock.

The one time I went to the Genius Bar the employee helping me was friendly and helped me get the problem sorted out, and the Apple Watch try-on was the same way. Customer service at the Apple Store has been better than any other retail chain I've been to.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I liked them when they quickly replaced my daughter's 5C under warranty because the headphone jack stopped working.

I didn't like them when I went to get a replacement for a frayed MagSafe power supply for her MacBook, and the guy comments, "Hmm. Too bad you didn't get a Genius appointment for this", then shrugged and sold me a new one. It was only later that I found out there was a free replacement program for them.

Last edited:

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I liked them when they quickly replaced my daughter's 5C under warranty because the headphone jack stopped working.

I didn't like them when I went to get a replacement for a frayed MagSafe power supply for her MacBook, and the guy comments, "Hmm. Too bad you didn't get a Genius appointment for this", then shrugged and sold me a new one. It was only later that I found out there was a free replacement program for them.
You could have probably argued that point and gotten a refund. I do notice that Apple will retroactively refund customers if they are charged for a repair/replacement that ends up being included in a replacement program.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Or maybe Apple is a good company to work for.
Nah , I think I'm probably right with my earlier assessment. They by no means offer the best terms in the retail environment.. but to some it is more than a job, just on barely above minimum. Wage..

Ps, tell the kids at Foxconn it's a great place to work..

Is there nothing apple you won't defend?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nah , I think I'm probably right with my earlier assessment. They by no means offer the best terms in the retail environment.. but to some it is more than a job, just on barely above minimum. Wage..

Ps, tell the kids at Foxconn it's a great place to work..

Is there nothing apple you won't defend?
Nothing like turning a discussion personal. eh? :rolleyes:

As far as foxconn, should apple pull their manufacturing facility out of China and go somewhere else? Or is the statement "kids at foxconn" just some unnessary hyperbole? And if it is really happening do you think apple would condone it, if it were public knowledge?

As far as the retail environment, do you have some information to back up your statement that says they don't offer the best terms? Do they offer the worst terms? And maybe people want to work for a fortune 500 company in a way you don't comprehend.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
Nothing like turning a discussion personal. eh? :rolleyes:

As far as foxconn, should apple pull their manufacturing facility out of China and go somewhere else? Or is the statement "kids at foxconn" just some unnessary hyperbole? And if it is really happening do you think apple would condone it, if it were public knowledge?

As far as the retail environment, do you have some information to back up your statement that says they don't offer the best terms? Do they offer the worst terms? And maybe people want to work for a fortune 500 company in a way you don't comprehend.
It's not personal mate, don't get so precious, the point being is that if you will defend Big A no matter what, it kind of invalidates your opinion somewhat, don't you agree.

Ps, there's loads of published story's about life as a genius.bar chap

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's not personal mate, don't get so precious, the point being is that if you will defend Big A no matter what, it kind of invalidates your opinion somewhat, don't you agree.

Ps, there's loads of published story's about life as a genius.bar chap
Precious? :cool:

From what you are saying, you are only allowed to "bash" apple? "Defending" aint allowed. So let's get serious. Since you made the sly accusation, post a link to some article about child labor at foxconn and post a follow-up from apple saying it was okay with them. There is no wink-wink, nod-nod do as I say, not as I do with apple with this issue. Which is why I defend them, because they are trying to do the right thing all-around, even if you don't agree with what they are doing and in the process are "bashing" them.

I'm not searching the web for stories by ex-apple employees with a grudge, by definition most ex-employees have a grudge.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/28/apple-sorkin-children-factcheck/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.