Is it just me or is cellular data than wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Aug 23, 2016.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Depends on the quality of the wifi node's connection to the internet... and that of the cell site's backhaul to the internet...competing traffic on the cell site... in other words, it's just you...

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Lol how do you edit a thread title? It's supposed to say "Is it just me or is cellular data slower than wifi?

4. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

all you do is edit your first post and can edit title.

but yes generally wifi is faster.

cellular is limitied by network where wifi is using the cable/firbe so generally faster

5. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I have the opposite happening. With my wifi I get about 25mbps down whereas I pull on average 75mbps over LTE. Internet is somewhat expensive here, particularly for what my needs are, so I am getting exactly what my plan is rated to give me.

6. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

or even if you have a fast cable but older g-standard wlan in a modem/router, it wont be as fast as ethernet or lte cellular....

which is faster, it depends...

7. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It's the opposite for me. The wifi at home is terrible. It's supposed to be around 18mbps but it doesn't ever feel like it. I never use it.

8. now i see it macrumors 65816

Supposedly I get LTE from att, but I've never seen more than 4mbps download speed while on cellular data.

9. Nermal, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have an iPhone 6 and I've found that the LTE hardware is faster than the [802.11n] Wi-Fi hardware. I have a 100 Mb/s connection at home, but max out at around 42 on my iPhone over Wi-Fi. On the other hand, my fastest recorded LTE speed is 87 Mb/s.

[Edited to specify 802.11n in particular]

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

The short answer is, it depends. There are conditions under which wifi is faster and conditions under which LTE is faster.

11. aloecool macrumors regular

It depends but it is LTE is usually faster than wifi for me

12. cynics macrumors G4

People will refer to their internets capacity as speed and while this will translate to speed (amount of time it takes to accomplish something), speed is better "felt" with the Internet when measured in response time/ping. This is why you can have a higher capacity LTE connection than you have broadband but the broadband feels faster.

You rarely get anywhere near saturating your bandwidth the majority of the time. Matter of fact it's very rare. On an iPhone for example you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference of anything higher than 5mbs in everyday use.

But you'll alway and constantly notice the response time of your internet connection (which is relative to what you are connecting to) and that is where broadband usually shines.

13. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

sounds like your wifi is working as a g-standard (max speed is 54mbps). you need to use n or ac standard.

14. wiredup72 macrumors regular

wiredup72

Not my wifi at home. But I have fios and AC WAPs with a gigabit LAN.

15. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Not true. It entirely depends on your connection and the type of wifi you have. Example - my wifi speed was about 20mbps earlier, now it's 60. My 4G speed is between 40 and 50 Mbps.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's n, and is faster on my Macs.

17. elf69 macrumors 68000

elf69

I have an AC router at home.

Cellular in my area is mainly 3G and 4G (LTE) is rare.

When I do get 4G in the git city (70 miles away) it still not as fast as my home broadband.

I get 17meg at home on a copper cable not fibre, my AC router wifi speed is faster than this.
    Even in G mode I get 54mbps which is still faster than the in speed.
    Although I am told I can get up to 80meg if I upgrade to fibre.

18. Deetlebug89 macrumors member

My LTE absolutely blows away all the wifi speeds that I've connected too here in a small Ohio town, fastest I've ever gotten wifi was 45mbs and that was on an apple airport router.

(Edit to say) Cleveland is 2 1/2 hours away but still where speed test hosted from lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

If you are relying heavily on free public wifi with everybody in a 100’ radius connecting to it then it shouldn’t be shocking at all that it sucks. There’s no benefit for companies offering free wifi to the general public to invest in more bandwidth. Enjoy your “better than nothing” gold standard of free public wifi.

20. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Wierd... I get good result with my iphone (6s+) /ac. My cable is 100mbps and i get the same with iphone, 99mbps (5ghz).

21. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

LTE is almost always faster than my home WiFi. We get 15 down and 5 up, which is an upgrade from the country when I got 5 down 1 up on a good day. LTE is usually at least 20 down, if not more like 50 and 10-20 up. Highest LTE speeds I ever hit were a little over 100 mbps down at the Packers stadium in Greenbay WI when practically nobody was there.

Now at work we get 200 down 20 up so it blows it away in that regard.

22. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I don't know if I have the best example here, but I used to be on an N router and it just didn't have the chops for multiple devices. As soon as I upgraded it to AC, I smoked the N and max out my speed on several devices running simultaneously.

Old N:

[​IMG]

New AC:

[​IMG]

These are also with my 2 kids on the AC using some kind of streaming service, YouTube, Netflix, Vudu..... Something. Same 100/20 fiber connection, just different router.

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

+1. I'd rather have 10Mbps with low latency than 20Mbps with ping times in the 1000+ ms.

That said, I'm looking forward to upgrading my iPhone so I can get both LTE Band 30 and 802.11ac. :)

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yep. There are too many variables to say one is always better than the other.

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Interesting! I've updated my earlier post accordingly :)